cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 dot1q 1 native rejected

eknell
Level 1
Level 1

I am in the process of replaceing 2 7206VXR's for a 6509 SUP2/MSFC2 running Native IOS 12.2.18-SXF6.

The issue I am having is when I try to add "encapsulation dot1q 1 native" to one of my sub-interface's, I get an error that states "Command rejected: VLAN1 cannot be allocated because it is the default vlan". I need to be able to set this because I have managment blocks in vlan 1, that will need a place to route to.

7206VXR Int Conf:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.1

encapsulation dot1Q 1 native

ip address 172.16.16.1 255.255.254.0 secondary

ip address 172.16.18.1 255.255.254.0 secondary

ip address 172.16.0.1 255.255.255.192 secondary

ip address 64.207.239.1 255.255.255.0

no ip unreachables

no ip proxy-arp

ip nat inside

I know there has to be an easy explanation...I am just not used to setting up a 6509 soley to handle all my layer 3 routing... Thanks for your help!

6 Replies 6

sourabhagarwal
Level 4
Level 4

can you try to configure only "encapsulation dot1Q 1" under gi0/1.1 sub-interface.

I guess it will enable IEEE 802.1Q encapsulation of traffic on a specified subinterface in VLANs, and defaults the associated VLAN as a native VLAN.

check this URL to see if you can get more information on this.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios122/122cgcr/fswtch_c/swprt6/xcfvl80q.htm#wp1007689

hope it helps .... rate if it does ....

I tried that as well on my G2/1.1 (switch interface) and I still got the same error?

m_breuer
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Ethan,

this configuration is not supported, because you have to follow these rules:

Because VLAN IDs are global to the switch, you can use a VLAN internally, on a subinterface, or with a Layer 3 VLAN interface.

?You cannot configure an internal VLAN on a subinterface or a Layer 3 VLAN interface.

?You cannot configure a subinterface VLAN on a Layer 3 VLAN interface.

?You cannot configure a VLAN used with a Layer 3 VLAN interface on a subinterface.

Note You cannot configure a VLAN used on one interface or subinterface on another interface or subinterface.

see: http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat6000/122sx/swcg/layer3.htm

I assume the default VLAN will be considered as internal and thus you will break these rules.

You have put your IP configuration on a VLAN interface.

Cheers,

Michael

Yes, I have seen this article. The problem is, I do not want this 6509 to have any STP instances, or know anything about VLANS....period. The only thing this switch will be doing is acting as a router, that is it. There has got to be a way to delete or get rid of VLAN1 on this switch, or turn off the layer 2 aspects all together?

mark.edwards
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, So the config you have posted is for your 7206 and you want to transfer this to your 6509? I'm also assuming that the main interface on 7206 GE0/1 is a trunk interface

I dounbt you'll be able to setup subinterfaces on the 6509. You should really set this up as a trunk interface and route using VLAN interface on the 6509.

Mark,

Actually, if you load any of IOS code in the 12.2.SX train, you do have the capabilities to create sub-interfaces on you 6509.

And yes, I am basically taking the configs off a couple 7206's, combining them, and trying to get the 6509 to do it all. The G0/1.1 int config I posted, was the problem child on my 6509. Thanks!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card