Views
Helpful
Replies

6500 + dual supervisors + differing SW Versions

wpinberlin
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings all,

i have a customer that i am working with regarding an 6500 issue. He has a 6500 with dual sup2/msfc2s. one blew out and he had to replace it. after receiving his replacement he inserted the new sup2/msfc2 but it didn't come up. as we examined it we realized that this was (probably) due to the fact that he has differing ROMmon, CAT OS, and IOS SW versions on the two cards.

cat-01-edv01 (enable) show module

Mod Slot Ports Module-Type Model Sub Status

--- ---- ----- ------------------------- ------------------- --- --------

1 1 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 yes standby

15 1 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2 no other

2 2 2 1000BaseX Supervisor WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 yes ok

16 2 1 Multilayer Switch Feature WS-F6K-MSFC2 no ok

Mod Port Model Serial # Versions

--- ---- ------------------- ----------- --------------------------------------

1 2 WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 SAL064582SB Hw : 3.15

Fw : 7.1.1

Fw1: 6.1(3)

Sw : 8.4(1)

Sw1: 8.4(1)

WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 SAL064582SB Hw : 3.15

Sw :

2 2 WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 SAD060100DA Hw : 3.2

Fw : 6.1(4)

Fw1: 6.1(3)

Sw : 7.6(1)

Sw1: 7.6(1)

WS-X6K-S2U-MSFC2 SAD060100DA Hw : 3.2

Sw :

15 1 WS-F6K-MSFC2 SAL08123FWG Hw : 2.9

Fw : 12.1(19)E1

Sw : 12.1(19)E1

16 1 WS-F6K-MSFC2 SAD060402AB Hw : 1.3

Fw : 12.1(13)E11

Sw : 12.1(13)E11

cat-01-edv01 (enable) show system highavailability

Highavailability: enabled

Highavailability versioning: enabled

Highavailability Operational-status: OFF(standby-supervisor-image-incompatible)

my question is this >>>

is our analysis correct that the differing versions would cause this failure and if so what is the best method of remediating this situation. He has only a small maintenance window wherein we can reboot the router. Can we make the upgrades with the router still running and use the window only to reboot?

any and all replies are welcome!

and as always - Thanx!

William

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi William,

As per show mod your supervisor is in OK state and just standby MSFC in in other state.

If you see module 15 is in other state which means MSFC in in ROMMON state or booting in loop.

Lets do one thing quickly just console into the activ supervisor and issue a command "switch console 15" and you will see your self console into the MSFC which is in other state.

IF you happen to see MSFC in rommon state I will recommend to check dir bootflash and try to manual boot from there. If not able to boot I will recommend to have xmodem 12.1(13)E11 to it as the MSFC which is in active state has the same image. Now this will not at all hamper your current network as you are working on MDFC which is in other state.

Also if you just disable "high availablity versioning" the active sup will synch the catos to the secondary sup and in this way you both the supervisors will also have same image.

Different image in CATOS will never let msfc go into other state and current your MSFC is in other state.

To recover MSFC from other state read this doc

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/124.html#topic1

BUt to avail the highavailability feature it is mandatory to have same images on both the supervisor and which you will get if you just disable high availability versioning.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

Hi William,

The active sup will always download the image to the standby sup and it does not matter if satndby sup is having higher image or lower.

HTH

Ankur

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

s.vyas
Level 1
Level 1

Best thing (May be the only thing)

Upgrade to IOS- U can do it any time...and reload in the MNT window using the IOS CONFIG

*If it is bootig from CAT-OS change the order in one mnt window before up-grade so CAt-Os is in stand by mode.

ADD following in the config

redundancy

mode rpr-plus

main-cpu

auto-sync running-config

auto-sync standard

ankurbhasin
Level 9
Level 9

Hi William,

As per show mod your supervisor is in OK state and just standby MSFC in in other state.

If you see module 15 is in other state which means MSFC in in ROMMON state or booting in loop.

Lets do one thing quickly just console into the activ supervisor and issue a command "switch console 15" and you will see your self console into the MSFC which is in other state.

IF you happen to see MSFC in rommon state I will recommend to check dir bootflash and try to manual boot from there. If not able to boot I will recommend to have xmodem 12.1(13)E11 to it as the MSFC which is in active state has the same image. Now this will not at all hamper your current network as you are working on MDFC which is in other state.

Also if you just disable "high availablity versioning" the active sup will synch the catos to the secondary sup and in this way you both the supervisors will also have same image.

Different image in CATOS will never let msfc go into other state and current your MSFC is in other state.

To recover MSFC from other state read this doc

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/473/124.html#topic1

BUt to avail the highavailability feature it is mandatory to have same images on both the supervisor and which you will get if you just disable high availability versioning.

HTH

Ankur

s.vyas - thank you for your response, unfortunately the customer has a number of 6500s in this environment and is not ready yet to make the move to native IOS.

Ankur - thanks for the tip! I don't have console access to the switch but i may be able to organize something to get the msfc out of 'other' mode. one question, if i disable 'high availability versioning' with the new sup sync to the running sup even though the new sup has the newer CAT OS? or will the running sup attempt to sync itself to the new CAT OS on the new sup?

thanx!

~William

Hi William,

The active sup will always download the image to the standby sup and it does not matter if satndby sup is having higher image or lower.

HTH

Ankur

Ankur,

thanks for the tips! I was able to get the MSFC back online (had a wrong boot statement...) and then get the new supervisor to sync by disabling the high availability versioning command. While the second MSFC still has a differing version of IOS, the customer is satisfied. Thanx again!

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card