cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

amansoi_5
Level 1
Level 1

Sir,

Is there any command to find chassis serial no. for Cisco 7206VXR router ?

regds,

aman

10 Replies 10

peterledwidge
Level 1
Level 1

Depending on IOS version try

show inventory.

HTH

The show inventory command is an interesting and fairly recent addition to IOS. While I have found that it does produce accurate results on some routers (like the 1841s I have recently worked with) my experience with 7200 routers is that I have not yet had any 7200 where the results of show inventory matched the serial number on the chassis. Have you had the show inventory command actually produce accurate results on a 7200 router?

Unfortunately I believe that the only accurate way to determine the serial number of 7200 routers is physical examination of the chassis.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

I tested and you are indeed correct here. Seems this command has it's imitations :-(

Best Regards

Peter

ariela
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

use SNMP:

the MIB is CISCO-ENTITY-VENDORTYPE-OID-MIB

OID: 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.12.3.1.5.1

or ENTITY-MIB (cevChassis7206)

info about 'show inventory':

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801d2d6d.html#wp1086602

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrea

Andrea,

The original question is asking for a 'command' which will produce the serial number of the chassis from it's output. That's how I interpreted the question anyway.

From my experience the only way to get the chassis s/n is from physical observation so I agree with rburts reply. But I also agree with you by use of SNMP to extrapolate the information. The thing about physical examination is - say if the s/n label has fallen off or become disfigured to the extent that it becomes unreadable...

hth,

Ajaz Nawaz

hth,

Ajaz Nawaz

Hi Ajaz,

I agree with you, the question was about a 'command'.

In my opinion, SNMP is a good "workaround" :) But rburts post, and yours, are corrects: first of all, check physically the s/n label, if no possible as Ajaz said, my advice is use an SNMP tool (like Nedi?).

Hope this helps

Regards

Andrea

hi all,

Router#sh inventory

NAME: "Chassis", DESCR: "Cisco 7206VXR, 6-slot chassis"

PID: CISCO7206VXR , VID: N/A, SN: 4294967295

NAME: "NPE200 0", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 Network Processing Engine NPE-200"

PID: NPE-200 , VID: N/A, SN: 4294967295

NAME: "module 0", DESCR: "I/O FastEthernet (TX-ISL)"

PID: C7200-IO-FE-MII/RJ45=, VID: N/A, SN: 4294967295

NAME: "module 1", DESCR: "Serial"

PID: PA-8T-X21= , VID: N/A, SN: 4294967295

NAME: "Power Supply 0", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"

PID: PWR-7200-AC , VID: N/A, SN: N/A

NAME: "Power Supply 1", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"

PID: PWR-7200-AC , VID: N/A, SN: N/A

This is the show inventry output shows the S/N

please rate helpfull post

Kamlesh

Kamlesh

I agree that show inventory shows some value which it claims is the S/N. I have done this several times with 7206VXR routers and each time the value given by show inventory was different from the value of the S/N on the chassis. If you go to this 7206 and get the S/N from the chassis I am pretty sure that it will not be 4294967295.

One clue to the problematic output from 7206 show inventory is that the value of 4294967295 is given for the chassis S/N and also given as the S/N for the NPE-200 and also given as the S/N for the FastEthernet and the Serial interfaces.

As a side note: I have used show inventory on some other models of router and it did give the correct S/N. So on some models it does work. But my experience is that this function is broken on 7206VXR. I do not have experience of trying to get the value via SNMP so do not know if that would give the accurate value or not. The only reliable way that I know to get the S/N of 7206VXR chassis is to physically examine the chassis and get the S/N.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Can I see the power supply serial number

From an example given earlier in this thread we find

NAME: "Power Supply 0", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"

PID: PWR-7200-AC       , VID: N/A, SN: N/A

NAME: "Power Supply 1", DESCR: "Cisco 7200 AC Power Supply"

PID: PWR-7200-AC       , VID: N/A, SN: N/A

So the answer to your question appears to be that no the serial number of the poser supply for 7206 is not given in the output of show inventory. I am not aware of any way to get that serial number remotely.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card