cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7201 Port Adapter slot speed?

slandreth
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know where to find the throughput capabilities of a 7201's port adapter slot?

For instance, I have a PA-GE card installed in slot 1 of a 7201 router and seem to have trouble getting past about 450 Mbps through it. I recall that I've seen the capability documented before, but can no longer find it.

The router has no QoS configured, and the CPU is running at <20%.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is about right, PA-GE cannot do more of 450 mbps onany platform. It's just a old PCI bus after all.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using an NPE-G1 card?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Shawn,

I got far lower numbers with GEIP+ on old C7500.

I think this performance is what you can expect from device.

The I/O controller when it is a standalone linecard (before NPE-G1 or NPE-G2) has two PCI buses one for even and one for odd slots.

To one of them are also connected the FE ports of the I/O controller itself (if present).

With NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 you can gain better performance if using one of the 3GE ports that are built on the NPE itself.

With a PA GE even with an NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 you go though PCI bus and you should get similar figures.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't find a hard performance number, but within http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_data_sheet09186a0080091ce7.html we find:

"Single Port Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter (PA-GE)

The single port Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter (PA-GE) provides a Gigabit Ethernet connection for the Cisco 7200 and Cisco 7304 series routers. This port adapter (PA), which offers moderate performance, is suitable for campus, enterprise edge and wide-area network (WAN) aggregation applications. . . ."

What I've underlined could imply the card is not capable of wire rate.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is about right, PA-GE cannot do more of 450 mbps onany platform. It's just a old PCI bus after all.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: