cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7201 Port Adapter slot speed?

slandreth
Level 1
Level 1

Does anyone know where to find the throughput capabilities of a 7201's port adapter slot?

For instance, I have a PA-GE card installed in slot 1 of a 7201 router and seem to have trouble getting past about 450 Mbps through it. I recall that I've seen the capability documented before, but can no longer find it.

The router has no QoS configured, and the CPU is running at <20%.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is about right, PA-GE cannot do more of 450 mbps onany platform. It's just a old PCI bus after all.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Are you using an NPE-G1 card?

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Shawn,

I got far lower numbers with GEIP+ on old C7500.

I think this performance is what you can expect from device.

The I/O controller when it is a standalone linecard (before NPE-G1 or NPE-G2) has two PCI buses one for even and one for odd slots.

To one of them are also connected the FE ports of the I/O controller itself (if present).

With NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 you can gain better performance if using one of the 3GE ports that are built on the NPE itself.

With a PA GE even with an NPE-G1 or NPE-G2 you go though PCI bus and you should get similar figures.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Can't find a hard performance number, but within http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/modules/ps2033/products_data_sheet09186a0080091ce7.html we find:

"Single Port Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter (PA-GE)

The single port Gigabit Ethernet Port Adapter (PA-GE) provides a Gigabit Ethernet connection for the Cisco 7200 and Cisco 7304 series routers. This port adapter (PA), which offers moderate performance, is suitable for campus, enterprise edge and wide-area network (WAN) aggregation applications. . . ."

What I've underlined could imply the card is not capable of wire rate.

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

That is about right, PA-GE cannot do more of 450 mbps onany platform. It's just a old PCI bus after all.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card