Views
Helpful
Replies

7204VXR (NPE400) FastEthernet problem

csiracusa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I have a problem with the FastEthernet of a Cisco 7204VXR npe400 release 12.2(12b).

If we fisically disconnect the FastEthernet, this interface cannot function until we reload the router.

Do you know if there is a known bug?!

I cannot find it.

Regads

Thanks

Cinzia

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Cinzia,

do you mean a FE on the I/O controller (fas0/0 or fas0/1) or an FE on a port adapter (x/0 or x/1 if you have PA 2FE)?

I imagine you have tried the usual shut/no shut cycle on the FE before reloading the device.

the device can run a newer IOS image so I would try with a different IOS image to see if the behaviour changes

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Giuseppe,

the FE are on I/O controller (F0/0 and F0/1), and I try to "shut" and "no shut" the interfaces but the problem is the same.

When I disconnect the cable on the interface (or the connection is braken)the FastEthernet remain in up up and then, when I reconnect the cable the interface stay in up up but I cannot see traffic and the interface is not functioning.

I think I have to upgrade the router but I have to find an IOS that really resolve the problem, my customer have to know if this is a known bug and if the upgrade can help us.

Thanks

Cinzia

Hello Cinzia,

I'm not sure to remember correctly I think we had the same issue some years ago.

Unfortunately, newer C7206VXR with NPE-G1 and NPE-G2 can be installed without the I/O controller so it is difficult to reproduce your scenario.

if you have a chance try to load a recent 12.4T version like 12.4(20)T and performs some tests with it.

be aware that images for NPE-G1 and NPE-G2 are different and have different names from those for older NPE like NPE-400.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card