cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206 adding T1s controller to multilink

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

I have a 7206 router that has a configured multilink with 6 t1 lines.

Three are T1 controllers on the router and three are on a PA-4T with DB-60 serial ports that have external CSU/DSU's.

Right now the PA-4T with external CSU/DSU's is in module slot 1.

My questions are:

1. Is the 7206 capable of allowing a hot swap of the PA-4T for the PA-MC-4T1?

2. Will I loose the existing serial port config if I make the change from PA-4T to PA-MC-4T1 wheather it is hot-swqpable or not?

I am thinking I should be a ble to just swap out the modules in slot 1 and add the config for the T1 controllers, without having to change anything else due to the serial ports already pointing to the Multilink Group.

Am I missing anything?

7 Replies 7

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

As for your first question the answer is yes, the 7206 supports full online insertion and removal (OIR).

As for the second question, i have never tried it before, but i have my doubts that it is doable.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

what are your doubts?

Are you thinking that I will have to rebuild the serial interface config or is there something else that I am ovelooking?

Hi,

Yes you are right, my doubts are that you might need to rebuild the serial interface config again, which i don't think that its a problem.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks for the reply,

Do you think since the router will allow this to be a hot swap and the 6 T1 lines are members of a multilink:

The three existing T1 lines that are already using the T1 controllers will stay up and the connection will be at half bandwidth until i get the other module and interfaces configured?

Hi Wilson,

Multilink PPP offers significant link manageability. If an individual link fails, Multilink PPP can automatically detect the failure and remove that link from the bundle. As long as one link of the bundle is working the logical interface representing the bundle is up.

I hope that i've been informative.

Mohammed Mahmoud.

So,

I should be abe to do the following to the three T1's that are part of the Mulitlink bundle without the Multilink Interface going down:

Remove the serial interface module,

Install the T1 module,

Configure the three T1 controllerss (framing, clock, encoding)

and reconfigure the serial ports, adding them to the multilink.

Is that correct?

Is there anything I will need to do to make sure the three additional T1's bind to the Multilink Interface after removing them?

Hi,

Perfect :)

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card