cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7206VXR with NPE-G1

emily
Level 1
Level 1

Recently i bought a 7206VXR with NPE-G1 , I found the 7206VXR only have boot image on the router ,so i delete origin boot image then download "c7200-is-mz.121-27b.bin" , finally the router directly run into romon , I have some question

1. there is must , I need have boot image exit the router

2. what a IOS image , that contain boot image & software feature image

3. Because the router only 16M bootflash , then no other external flash , which method is fit for my router

2 Replies 2

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

This link discusses how to recover ios on these type routers.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/customer/products/hw/routers/ps359/products_tech_note09186a00800a750e.shtml

Unlike smaller routers that have the bootflash in a chip these larger routers have it in a file. If you delete it and you delete the main ios you have a dead router. Your only option is to boot the router from a external flash card and then copy it back to the bootflash. If you do not have a external card with the image on it you are in big trouble.

The official method is to copy the image to a flash card with another router. I think these newer 7200 use standard file systems so you should be able to copy the image to the compact flash with a PC and then boot it in the router.

Thanks for your response ,I have been borrow a bootflash to resolved the router into rommon issue , but i still have below issue :

1. there is must , I need have boot image exist the router

2. what a IOS image , that contain boot image & software feature image

3. Because the router only 16M bootflash , then no other external flash , which method is fit for my router

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card