Views
Helpful
Replies

7301 serial number

s.steiner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have an issue, determining serial numbers of 7301s. How can I determine the chassis serial number of a 7301 ? Due to having internally running an NPE-G1, I disbeleive that it is identical to the processor board ID listed under the "show version" command. Unfortunately, we do not have a spare unit available at the moment to check it ourselves.

Thx and best regards,

Stephan

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

did u try giving show inventory command in your box ?

regds

Stephan

This question of determining the serial number of a device comes up from time to time. And unfortunately the answer is platform dependent. Since I do not have a 7301 to check I can not give you an authoritative answer. But here is what I know:

- on some devices the serial number does show up in show version. I suspect that the 7301 is not one of those.

- in IOS based devices Cisco has introduced a command show inventory and one of its outputs is a field for chassis serial number. Unfortunately it is not always correct. My experience is that some devices (especially ISR routers) do give the correct serial number, but some devices give a value but it is NOT the correct value. I suspect that the 7301 falls into the category of not correct.

- the one dependable way to find the serial number is to visually look on the chassis.

If anyone has a 7301 and can address whether the show inventory command gives the correct value, it would be very helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I don't have a 7300 router here with me. But we use this command if we are trying to get the serial number of a 6500 switch.

show idprom all

I'm not sure with this.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card