Views
Helpful
Replies

7301 serial number

s.steiner
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

we have an issue, determining serial numbers of 7301s. How can I determine the chassis serial number of a 7301 ? Due to having internally running an NPE-G1, I disbeleive that it is identical to the processor board ID listed under the "show version" command. Unfortunately, we do not have a spare unit available at the moment to check it ourselves.

Thx and best regards,

Stephan

3 Replies 3

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

did u try giving show inventory command in your box ?

regds

Stephan

This question of determining the serial number of a device comes up from time to time. And unfortunately the answer is platform dependent. Since I do not have a 7301 to check I can not give you an authoritative answer. But here is what I know:

- on some devices the serial number does show up in show version. I suspect that the 7301 is not one of those.

- in IOS based devices Cisco has introduced a command show inventory and one of its outputs is a field for chassis serial number. Unfortunately it is not always correct. My experience is that some devices (especially ISR routers) do give the correct serial number, but some devices give a value but it is NOT the correct value. I suspect that the 7301 falls into the category of not correct.

- the one dependable way to find the serial number is to visually look on the chassis.

If anyone has a 7301 and can address whether the show inventory command gives the correct value, it would be very helpful.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I don't have a 7300 router here with me. But we use this command if we are trying to get the serial number of a 6500 switch.

show idprom all

I'm not sure with this.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card