Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7600 SIP memory for full BGP

Hello,

I have to select a POS STM-1 (clearchannel) interface for a 7600 core router where I'll have 2 full BGP feeds + some partial feeds from public IX peering.

On the router I plan to have Sup 720-3BXL or maybe RSP720-3CXL with 16-port GE (WS-X6516A-GBIC) - no DFC; on the other side I have a 7200 with PA-POS-1OC3.

I'm evaluating to use a SIP (SPA Interface Processor) with a 2-port OC3/STM1 POS Shared Port Adapter (SPA-2XOC3-POS).

On SIP-200 and SIP-400 datasheets I can read thinks like this: "Memory default - 1 GB per Cisco 7600 SIP-400 - Enables support of large routing tables, rich QoS features, and increased scalability".

I can't understand how SIP memory would impact on routing table's capacity: aren't forwarding decisions made on the Sup/RSP? Do you see possible issues with the configuration I briefly summarized? Please enlighten me!

Many thanks

SIP-200 datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/product_data_sheet0900aecd8027c9df.html

SIP-400 datasheet: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps368/product_data_sheet0900aecd8027c9e6.html

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Piercarlo,

SIP-600 connects to 720 Gbps switching fabric with a DFC 3BXL (and the memory size of DFC really counts in this case)

SIP-400 connects to switching fabric but without a DFC, so it should be similar to the use of a CFC.

Some sentences look like "marketing oriented" like in this case.

You should be fine with a SIP-400 we have two devices in a similar scenario and they work well.

We had an issue when replacing a WS-6708 10GE the replacement linecard arrived with the wrong DFC (DFC 3C instead of DFC 3XL) in that case it was a problem the module could not host in DFC memory the whole CEF table.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Piercarlo,

SIP-600 connects to 720 Gbps switching fabric with a DFC 3BXL (and the memory size of DFC really counts in this case)

SIP-400 connects to switching fabric but without a DFC, so it should be similar to the use of a CFC.

Some sentences look like "marketing oriented" like in this case.

You should be fine with a SIP-400 we have two devices in a similar scenario and they work well.

We had an issue when replacing a WS-6708 10GE the replacement linecard arrived with the wrong DFC (DFC 3C instead of DFC 3XL) in that case it was a problem the module could not host in DFC memory the whole CEF table.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Many thanks Giuseppe, your experience is better than thousands of "marketing oriented" words!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card