cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

7606-S and Fan Module 6SHS Version 1

turnera
Level 1
Level 1

So how many of you have done a "show power" and looked at what your fan module is reporting back to you?

We recently updated a number of our older 7606 chassis to the newer 7606-S chassis and upgraded the fan assemblies as well.

When we performed a show power on the new boxes they reported our fan assemblies as being the older FAN-MOD-6HS units instead of the actually installed FAN-MOD-6SHS units.

I am curious if anyone else has seen or experienced this to date? We have opened a TAC and it looks as though we will be swapping fan modules, once again in hopes to remedy this issue.

We do have the newer fan modules as they are grey as opposed to the Cisco green (or whatever that color is) and upon closer inspection the part number tag reflects the new fan module assembly number.

This is happening on at least 4 of our 7606-S routers in our lab. We are just about to install these 7606-S routes into our operational network and I am pretty sure they will also reflect the same incorrect information.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

mark-pederson7
Level 1
Level 1

If I remember right, we experieinced and issue similar to this.  I believe the fix was a firmware upgrade for the router.  Part of the problem we also experieced along with this was the router reporting the wrong fan speed.  Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

I've just checked on a device that has been shipped as a 7606-S and it is fine:

router#sh power | inc FAN
1    FAN-MOD-6SHS        180.18  4.29  OK
router#sh ver | inc image
System image file is "bootdisk:c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRC.bin"

What sh inventory provides to you?

sh inventory | inc FAN
NAME: "FAN-MOD-6SHS 1", DESCR: "High Speed Fan Module for CISCO7606-S 1"
PID: FAN-MOD-6SHS      , VID: V01, SN: DCH11494015

if this show provides the correct output you have a way to check the presence of the correct FAN type

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

mark-pederson7
Level 1
Level 1

If I remember right, we experieinced and issue similar to this.  I believe the fix was a firmware upgrade for the router.  Part of the problem we also experieced along with this was the router reporting the wrong fan speed.  Hope this helps.

Mark,

IOS upgrade did the trick. Thanks!

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

I've just checked on a device that has been shipped as a 7606-S and it is fine:

router#sh power | inc FAN
1    FAN-MOD-6SHS        180.18  4.29  OK
router#sh ver | inc image
System image file is "bootdisk:c7600rsp72043-advipservicesk9-mz.122-33.SRC.bin"

What sh inventory provides to you?

sh inventory | inc FAN
NAME: "FAN-MOD-6SHS 1", DESCR: "High Speed Fan Module for CISCO7606-S 1"
PID: FAN-MOD-6SHS      , VID: V01, SN: DCH11494015

if this show provides the correct output you have a way to check the presence of the correct FAN type

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Giuseppe,

When I did the show inventory | inc FAN and it did not work I upgraded to the IOS you were using. Once I did that the correct fan module is being reported! Sometimes the simple things are way too easy. Thanks for the help!

Giuseppe,

There is one thing I want to bring to your attention. Your 6SHS fan assembly is not reflecting the correct current and wattage rating as identifed in table 2-3 of this link. And neither is ours!

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/7600/Hardware/Chassis_Installation/7600_Series_Router_Installation_Guide/prep.html

Ours also is displaying 180.18 watts and 4.29 amps instead of 311 watts and 7.40 amps. This may not be a problem for you but with the modules that we have installed and our power source being 120VAC, (this effectively reduces the power rating of the power supplies by half.), this is bumping us close to the ceiling of the capacity of our power supplies. If we never expand we'll be fine but if we were to add a new module we will then be out of available amperage to support the additional card.

I am discussing this with Cisco now and am waiting for a resolution.

I received the following information from the TAC engineer regarding the amp/watt readout from the "show power" command:

"Regarding the power usage that the fan tray is displaying, the fan is only consuming 180W because it is working in restricted mode. High power mode is used only when modules (like 6708 or 6716) require a higher cooling of ~85cfm. There is no configuration for this, the switch does this automatically.  So what the power consumption is normal and no further action is required."

That clears up the perceived inconsistencies that we were seeing. So it looks as though our matter is now closed with a sucessful ending!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco