Views
Helpful
Replies

8/2 2821 Router

timcappalli
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am having trouble getting information.

I am installing a new network with a business class cable modem with 8mb DL, and 2mb UL...

Will the 2821 ISR handle this for my network?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Tim,

The 2821 is more than sufficient for the specified speed of your cable modem.

HTH,

Mark

As Mark notes, more than sufficient, overkill even. However, if you'll also be using it for LAN routing, in addition to WAN routing, it could handle a couple of 10 Mbps links, but it won't sustain either 100 or gig speeds, even though it has gig Ethernet interfaces.

I'll be honest, I have been maintaining networks in the past but I have never built one, so I am having some trouble...

Here is my situation...

We are a small public access station. We have video servers which play out video to our video transmitters. These servers will be connected to our gigabit switch along with our editing computers and laptops. This gigabit throughput is only needed locally, as all computers are hooked into the switch. So am I right to say that the router does not need to hangle gigabit speeds? I plan on doing DHCP through the switch and using the router for firewall, vpn, and routing.

Is there a lower model of these routers that would work also? We have budget limits so I would like to save money in any way possible.

Thanks for all your help!

Yes, if all your computers, internally, are on the same network, a gig switch will handle the traffic between them. The router will only come into use when moving traffic to/from the Internet where the DSL bandwidth is the limiting factor. Also yes, a less expensive router could be used for your DSL, such as one of the 800 series or you could even consider a Linksys router.

Would that 800 series be able to handle the firewall, VPN, and routing all in one box?

I dont know if you need to know this but I have 5 static IPs, one for the LAN and 4 for the servers....

Would I be OK with one of the 1800 series models?

Depending on the particular 800 model and feature set, it can support firewall, VPN and routing in the one box. The 1800 should be fine too. It offers more performance.

If you haven't see this poster http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps380/prod_brochure0900aecd8070826d.pdf, it highlights the differences.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card