cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

802.1x Support in 1841 Router

sohanshenoy
Level 1
Level 1

Does Router 1841 support 802.1x as an Authenticator, Authentication Server or just a supplicant?

6 Replies 6

mohammedmahmoud
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

Yes, it can act as Authenticator or supplicant.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mohammed. As an Authenticator would it be Wireless or Wired?

Hi,

Either wired (with EtherSwitch HWICs) or wireless (with HWIC-AP WLAN interface card).

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Thanks Mahammed. Can you please also tell me where I can get some documentation regarding the Setup of this router as an Authenticator. I could not get enough info in the manuals or in the net.

Hi,

On the 1841 you'll need a HWIC-4ESW, and do the ordinary dot1x configuration, it is like illustrated in this document:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/lan/cat3560/12237se/scg/sw8021x.htm#wp1270660

To summarize it:

1. Step 1 As with other AAA authentication methods, enable AAA with the aaa new-model global command.

2. Step 2 As with other configurations using RADIUS servers, define the RADIUS server(s) IP address(es) and encryption key(s) using the radius-server host key commands.

3. Step 3 Similar to login authentication configuration, define the 802.1X authentication method using the aaa authentication dot1x default radius command.

4. Step 4 Enable 802.1X globally using the dot1x system auth-control global command.

5. Step 5 Set each interface to use it via dot1x port-control auto interface subcommand.

HTH,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether any accesories are required for Cisco Aironet 350 Series Access Points (bridge) setup to act as authenticator in WLAN.

Also the accessories for D-Link DGS-3024 switch to act as authenticator in wired LAN.

rgds

kavaskar.m

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card