cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

850 Router

winterpegman
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all - I goofed! I set this router up to have a remote management from an external IP Address. I can't connect from that IP Address, and nor can I now connect (to configure) from within the LAN. The router is still dishing out DHCP, so the office still has Internet, but I need to be able to get back on the configuration utility. I tried to connect using the blue wire/console port...but don't know what settings are supposed to be used, and nor can I find any documentation for this. As this router is in an office, I can't reset it from scratch. Any suggestions?

Thanks much.

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Darryl

In general the console port is accessed via the blue cable with speed of 9600, databits of 8, parity of none, and stop bits of 1. If you can access via the console with these settings that would be the easiest solution.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks for the response. Is it possible I may have locked myself out of telnetting to the console port as well? I did try with 9600 yesterday (although I can't honestly remember if I tried the other settings). I ask just in case I can't get on via the console port...

Darryl

I believe that your best bet is the console port. So I would suggest that first you try the console port with the speeds that I indicated.

Without knowing what kind of 850 router it is, and without knowing more about what you did that is preventing telnet, it is difficult to know what your options are. Some routers have an suz port as well as a console port which can allow local direct connect access but it looks to me like the 850 series does not have this feature. Some of the 850 have 2 Ethernet interfaces which might give you another possible connection point while others have only a single Ethernet. Some of the 850s support wireless which might be another way in.

Can you tell us more about what you configured that is preventing your telnet? Did you configure an access-class on the vty ports? Did you configure an access list? If we knew more about this particular environment we might be better able to come up with alternatives.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

I was in the SDM, and thought I was enabling a remote configuration for a single IP Address. There was a "warning" stating that once enabled, I wouldn't be able to connect from any other IP Addresses, and stupid me, I assumed (ya, ya I know!) that it was only referring to external IP Addresses, not Internal as well. No ACL was configured. It isn't the wireless model btw...it's an 851.

Sorry I can't be more specific about what I exactly did, it was last week, and I didn't try getting on it until yesterday... I will try to connect via the console port with the settings you've suggested, but I have a sneaky feeling it may not let me on...

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card