cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871 DHCP

davidm101
Level 1
Level 1

get dhcp address from isp without problem - with default route info also. However, cannot ping the g/w.

only cfg to the router,

int fa4

no shut

ip address dhcp

spe 10

verify with show ip interface brief (see the dhcp addres)

show ip route (see the default route)

ping g/w from the router -> no response

4 Replies 4

devang_etcom
Level 7
Level 7

configure the default route indicating the exit point as the interface of the router which is having DHCP ip address...

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 inter X

regards

Devang

I believe i have the same problem configuring an 877 to access PPPoA DSL. IP address is assigned dynamically from ISP but testing ATM interface shows "No exit route found"

Trying to configure using SDM. How to I replicate the "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0.0 inter atm0.1" command using SDM?

davidm101
Level 1
Level 1

I did try with the default route using fa4(WAN) interface for next hop without success - even the g/w is the same network (class C) with the 871 router.

I used the 831 without any problem. any suggestion? Thanks.

Working at last. Using default route of my atm interface didn't work. Found out that ISP issues default gateway address as part of DHCP on outside interface. However, 877 does not set this up as the next hop address on the default route. My issued IP address on outside atm interface is a.b.c.d. Issued g/w address was f.g.h.i (not even on same subnet as a.b.c.d) Following line solved all.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 f.g.h.i

Finding out this address took considerably longer than actually making the change. When setting up ISP accounts with Demon and BT in UK, the majority of commercially available routers would configure this as part of the IP negotiation after PPPoE or PPPoA connection is estabilished. Consequently ISP helpdesk staff often do not know what the next hop on external interface is. I used an old 3COM router which after DHCP showed me the "default gateway on the WAN interface".

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco