Views
Helpful
Replies

877W - Unable to enter ROMMON/no password recovery

paulmoore69
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I have just bought an 877W router from a company that has gone in to administration but cannot perform a password recovery. The recovery function has been turned off but having read the proceedure on Cisco's web site thought I would be able to sort it.

Unfortunately when ever I try it takes no notice of the break key and just loads the original config.

I know my break key is OK as I can use it on a Cisco 2503 and 878.

I've tried break within 60 seconds, just as the image is actually loading and also when the 'image text base' line appears but to no avail.

The image is c870-advipservicesk9-mz.124-9.T2.bin

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Paul.

12 Replies 12

pciaccio
Level 4
Level 4

Try this URL for break sequences or set your terminal to 1200 8N1 no flow. power cycle the unit then hot space bar for 10 secs. then change back to 9600 8N1. You should be in ROMMON mode....

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps133/products_tech_note09186a0080174a34.shtml

paulmoore69
Level 1
Level 1

Tried this one as well but still no joy. Thanks for reply though.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Rename the image with a different file extension.

Sorry, I may be missing something but how as I do not have access to configure the router.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unsure whether the 877W supports it, but later devices support disabling password recovery as a security option.

If this is supported on the 877W and if it had been activated, from other router documentation, you need to physically replace ROMMOM. (I.e. there's no "soft" recovery method.)

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

Some months ago, I read some instructions to do password recovery even when the function has been disabled. Unfortunately, you'll need to Google it.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

Found it!

Here's the link:

http://www.heinzulm.com/password.php

Hope this helps.

Thanks, but still no joy. It appears as the router cannot see an image to boot from it reloads and the cycle begins again.

Normally after 3 cycles it would drop in to ROMMON but because of the no password recovery it cannot do this.

As someone suggested above looks like I need to replace the eeprom/ROMMON........any ideas how??

Hi Paul,

If you noticed on the link posted, it's a "timing" thing when to invoke the BREAK sequence. Did you try that method out and it still doesn't work?

Hi,

I have found a solution now!!

If you press the reset button on the rear of the router within 5 seconds of powering it up and leave it, it will wipe the config and boot up as if it was a new router.

Thanks for everyones suggestions, much appreciated.

Paul.

Hey Paul...

Your solution helped me today... Thankyou

Happy Networking !!!

Narendrakumar B

The only ABSOLUTE thing in the "method" linked above is BS, as the log itself show he did not really cracked anything! Ridicoulous!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card