cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

881 WLAN interfaces

Patrick McHenry
Level 3
Level 3

I have a couple of questions about the 881s.

Can someone please tell me the difference between the Wlan-GigabitEthernet0 interface and the Wlan-ap0 interface? I have some confusion about them and their function. And if I wanted to disable the wireless, which interface would I shut?

Also, after we install this generic-template config, when we try to login into the wireless portion of the router(service-module wlan-ap 0 session),  we are asked for username and password but, the default Cisco doesn't work- like we use before putting on the config. We can't find the login config on the generic-template. Is there a way to break into the wireless portion of the 881 after using the break sequence then, change the password on the Wireless module?

Thanks, Pat.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Where would we do that? Can I configure the 881 WAP to be autonomous on the WCS or must that be on the 881?

In enable mode:

Router(config)#service-module wlan-ap 0 bootimage ?

autonomous  Set AP boot image to autonomous

unified     Set AP boot image to unified

So change your settings to "autonomous" and the WAP will reload to autonomous IOS.

View solution in original post

Glad to be of some assistance Patrick. 

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

WLAN-AP0 interface is a "management port" that virtually connects the router to the built-in WAP.   Normally, I'd give this interface a non-routable IP address such as 1.1.1.1/32.

The WLAN-GigabitEthernet0 is the interface that connects the WAP.  Normally, just put this VLAN in the same VLAN as your WAP and you should be right.

Thanks for the response Leo. Do you happen to have any info on the additional questions?

Like, how do I disable the wireless from working for a remote user.

Also, the break in question.

Thanks, Pat.

Like, how do I disable the wireless from working for a remote user.

You want to prevent a user from using the wireless?  Is this correct?

Yes, that is correct. I was thinking I could just do a shut on the WLAN interfaces but, it won't allow me.

881 (config-if)#int wlan-gigabitEthernet 0
881 (config-if)#shut
% Shutdown not allowed on Wlan-GigabitEthernet0 interface, as it is an internal interface connecting to the wlan-ap module.
881 (config-if)#int wlan-ap0
The wlan-ap 0 interface is used for managing the embedded AP.
Please use the "service-module wlan-ap 0 session" command to console into the embedded AP

Now, I can't get into service-module wlan-ap 0 session as I can't find the password to get into it.

Thanks, Pat.

Default password is normally  "Cisco/Cisco".

If you want to stop a particular client from logging into the wireless the simplest way would be to use a MAC-based ACL.

Yea I could do that but, we would like to stop the AP from associating with the controllers as to avoid using up a license.

Yea I could do that but, we would like to stop the AP from associating with the controllers as to avoid using up a license.

Ahhh ... Ok.  You can configure the 801 WAP to be autonomous and configure MAC-based ACL on the WAP.

Where would we do that? Can I configure the 881 WAP to be autonomous on the WCS or must that be on the 881?

See, the problem we are having is that we cannot acces the service-module wlan-ap 0 session after the remote user uploads his/her image from MEVO. An easy fix to the prob would be to disable the wireless interface but, it seems like you can't do that unless you are in the service-module wlan-ap 0.

Thanks, Pat.

In enable mode:

Router(config)#service-module wlan-ap 0 bootimage ?

autonomous  Set AP boot image to autonomous

unified     Set AP boot image to unified

So change your settings to "autonomous" and the WAP will reload to autonomous IOS.

Thanks, Leo. I'll give it a shot tomorrow.

Worked!!

Glad to be of some assistance Patrick. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: