Views
Helpful
Replies

About BGP

zeeshan.a
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

i got a 1760 modular router (16MB Flash, 32MB RAM). It's IOS doesn't support BGP, while i IOS 12.3(26) can run BGP, but its requirement is 32MB Flash, 96MB RAM. is there any possibilty that the IOS can b installed on router if i upgrade RAM or any other IOS version supporting BGP...

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

It is highly recommeded to have more RAM & high end router while running BGP.

In any case you need to have atleast 48MB RAM & 16 MB flash to run BGP with IP Base feature set.

Find below details of same.

Image Name c1700-ipbase-mz.123-1.bin

DRAM / Min Flash 48 / 16

HTH..rate if helpful..

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Zeeshan

You describe the issue as if the difference in versions (12.3(26) or whatever) makes the difference in whether it supports BGP. So first let us be clear that it is a difference in feature set and not a difference in version that determines whether there is support for BGP.

If the requirements to support BGP are really 32 MB Flash and 96 MB RAM then it would be best to upgrade both the flash and the RAM. But to answer your question if you upgrade the RAM to satisfy that requirement you might be able to run it on the router without upgrading Flash if you configure the router to boot the new image from a TFTP server. I would not recommend this but I believe that it could work.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi,

It is highly recommeded to have more RAM & high end router while running BGP.

In any case you need to have atleast 48MB RAM & 16 MB flash to run BGP with IP Base feature set.

Find below details of same.

Image Name c1700-ipbase-mz.123-1.bin

DRAM / Min Flash 48 / 16

HTH..rate if helpful..

thnx,

but can you make me sure that i would need IP Base version or IP Plus??

For 12.3 IP PLUS is not available.

can you mention apart from regular feature & BGP what all features you required?

I have attached list of features available in this image.

HTH..rate if helpful..

Usually, IP Base images do not support enhanced routing features like BGP.

Check Cisco feature navigator as a staring point.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp

HTH

thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card