cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Access from various SSID to access various VLAN's

Nuno Galego
Level 1
Level 1

I have an AP where I intend to have 2 ssid where each one accesses a different vlan. On the switch side I already have the trunk made with access to these vlans.
However I can only get network in the AP when I access the native vlan ... When I try to access the other one I do not get a network .. If I change the native vlan to the other SSID I can access it and not the other one ... In exemple, in AP I have SSID Web (vlan 11) and Guest (vlan 12), when I set in AP that vlan 11 is the native, I can access the network and get an IP address from DHCP, but if I try to access Vlan 12 I can't access the network and cant get an IP add... In AP logs it doesnt give any error... I think this is configuration..
From what I realized it is not possible to have 2 vlan's native, how do I solve this problem? Someone can help

Can anybody give an exemple to how configure that?

11 Replies 11

Do you have Wireless controller in the network. Its possible to broadcast as many as SSID's upto what controller or Autonomous access point support and each can have different VLAN. 

I did the setup as below but in my scenario i have WLC and LAP (light weight access points).

Put the access point in one managment VLAN lets say 100 and map SSID's to different VLAN interface in WLC. 

Configuration for Interface connecting to Lightweight Access Point
Interface gi1/0/1
switchport mode access
switchport access vlan 100
spanning-tree port-fast
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
exit

On WLC for each SSID map it to separate VLAN and once client connect to that particular SSID IP will be given from DHCP server which can be either on switch, WLC or Microsoft server. 

HTH

I think I did not explain myself well ...
I have my trunk switch with native vlan 1 and vlans 11 and 12.

I have 2 ssid's associated with vlans 11 and 12, but I can only access the network when I put these vlans as native.

In exemple, in AP I have SSID Web (vlan 11) and Guest (vlan 12), when I set in AP that vlan 11 is the native, I can access the network and get an IP address from DHCP, but if I try to access Vlan 12 I can't access the network and cant get an IP add... In AP logs it doesnt give any error... I think this is configuration..

I have this configuration that you show in switch... I can't put this in AP.. I guess..

Can you put your switch configuration and you AP configuration?

Hello Nuno, 

In my scenario its light weight access points so AP's will take configuration from WLC. On switch there should be basic configuration including appropriate VLAN's.

I attached sample configurations for autonomous AP and switch. hope it will help you but its not exactly same like your scenario.

My switch configuration is like that one you attached...

In attach i will send my AP configuration... I only can access the VLAN native... if I change the native VLAN to other VLAN, I will access that one...

I need some help to resolve that...

The native VLAN should not be assigned to a SSID unless it is a bridge connection. The native VLAN should only be used for management of the AP. The native VLAN is always assigned to bridge group 1 which should include BVI1 and Fa0. In your config the BVI interface and your default gateway are not in the same network.

You don't go into a lot of detail about your switch network and where your DHCP servers are located in that network. However the helper addresses should be assigned to the SVI for that VLAN in the switch. When you make a connection from a wireless client to the AP the connection is assigned to a VLAN just like a wired client. The client does not need to have any IP information in common with the AP since the AP is a L2 bridge. Therefor any L3 communication will be between the client and the switch, at this point the switch should be a DHCP server or be able to tell the client where the DHCP server is.

Your AP config looks fine except for the default gateway and the helper addresses. T

Cheers,

Sam

So why this don't work???

Can you send me the correct config based on my AP config with the corrections?

Regards,

Nuno

Here is a very good document that explains the relationship of VLANs to an AP including configuration. This does go a little into the switch configuration however it does not go into the TCP/IP configuration that should be in place on the network.

I explained to you best I could as to why this isn't working, without your switch configuration and information about your DHCP server there isn't any more I can do.

Cheers,

Sam

This is the tutorial that I was followed, and does't work... I configured exactly like it shows, and dont work....

:(

How can I make a Bridge Configuration???

I haven´t a bridge# , I only have the AP and Switch...

In the tutorial that you sent, it talks about bridge, but I haven't any bridge...

There is other way to resolve that??

Nuno Galego
Level 1
Level 1

Somebody can help me with my problem??

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card