Views
Helpful
Replies

access-list query

sourabh1000_2
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

i have matched some bgp routes with prefix-list and set local higher local pref for some destination prefixes but same i am getting output when i am matching same routes with standard access-list then why should i use confusing or complex prefix-list? what the exact use of it? and when?

thanks and regards,

sourabh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lets take an example :

You need to permit 150.5.x.x network an only which has a default class B subnet mask and allow on the routes which have grtaer than 28 bit mask.

ip prefix-list abc permit 150.50.0.0/16 ge 28

With prefix-list above only the masks which are greater than 28 will be selected.

You wont be able to match it with an ACL.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amit Singh
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Prefix-list with BGP is used for more granular filtering of the routes.

With ACL's you can only match the networks, while with prefix-list you can match on both network + mask.

HTH,

-amit singh

hello Mr.Amit,

But for mask we can use wildcard mask with standard or extended access-list to match the mask of network, am i right? pls suggest.

Thanks and regards

sourabh

Lets take an example :

You need to permit 150.5.x.x network an only which has a default class B subnet mask and allow on the routes which have grtaer than 28 bit mask.

ip prefix-list abc permit 150.50.0.0/16 ge 28

With prefix-list above only the masks which are greater than 28 will be selected.

You wont be able to match it with an ACL.

thanks a lot for providing very simple example for me..

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card