cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

access-list

amansoi_5
Level 1
Level 1

I have configured one access-list which is applied to serial & ethernet port of router..

What my question is that whenever ACL is processed , first it is processed on serial port & then , request comes to ethernet port ..

4 Replies 4

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

an access-list is processed whenever a packet crosses the interface, where the ACL is applied in the specified direction.

If you have an access-list applied for outgoing traffic it will not inspect incoming traffic.

In your case it depends on the direction the access-list was applied and the direction the packet takes through the router.

Hope this helps

Martin

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi,

An access-list will be processed only when there is packet recieved on that particular interface.

For. Eg, if your LAN packet reaches the router, it will be processed by the acl's on that interface and same for the WAN.

There is no crietria that which port will be processed first.It will be first-come-first-serve basis.

Regards

JD

I am sending the configuration of ACL which is applied on Serial port & ethernet port of router .

When I am trying to login into the server ( e.g. 10.194.1.2 ) from LAN of any location where ACL is not applied , then , packet will first arrive on WAN & LAN . Please confirm on this.

ACL is applied on Serial & Fast ethernet port for IN bound & outbaound packets...

It depends on which interface has route to the destination i.e 10.194.1.2. Suppose the given ACL was applied to the E0 interface in the outbound direction and the target host was located in that direction, only then the ACL will be applicable.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card