Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACL application

Hello,

I know it might seem like a novice question but I have this other engineer who's been doing this for years and for some reason we have a customer who has an ACL on his router to permit certain public ip's to his trixbox. However I took a look at it and see that the ACL is not being applied to any particular Interface. From my studies and own experience I've always read you apply acl to the interface in either an in or out direciton. How is this ACL even working if its not being applied in any direction or to any particular interface?

Please clear this question for me please.

Thanks

3 Replies 3

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If the acl is being used to restrict traffic and not applied to an interface, then it's not functioning. ACLs can be used for many different things like route-maps, class-maps, and distribution lists. You may want to check that it wasn't used for something like a QoS policy (matching in a class-map) or anything like that. Can you post the config for further clarification?

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

j.blakley,

i fully understand what you're saying I know ACL's can be used for eigrp/ospf/bgp for distribute-lists. However for this funciton its main purpose is to restrict every other IP and only the specified ips into udp port 5060 to the trixbox.

So I mean in reality this ACL is not funcitoning at all correctly...?

Thanks,

Darian,

In your scenario without seeing the config, I can't tell you if that's it in your case. I can tell you that if an acl is not applied anywhere, then it's not doing anything.

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card