cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adaptive Frame Relay Traffic Shapping

mattesong
Level 1
Level 1

If I have 10 locations having a single T1 which are PVC's and two locations which are DS3's PVC and at 10Mb. By using Adaptive Frame Relay Traffic Shapping, would I be able to, when congestion is high between the two sites with the 10Mb link, reallocate some bandwidth from the other sites to increase the capacity to over 10 MB?

7 Replies 7

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Its been very long time, I have had almost similar type of question on my previous exam but in different way.

The Frame-relay Adaptive shaping command allows DTEs to respond to BECN and FECN messages sets at the frame-relay header. When the link is congested and becn bit set, the speed is decreased to the CIR value configured, therefore, it would allow dor dynamic bandwidth relocation between sites.

HTH

Mohamed

thank you, can this work if all the sites are PVC's?

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

I didnt test it, but theoratically it should if all FR DTEs enabled for(Adaptive Shaping).

HTH

Mohamed

okay thank you. it would be fesible to assume we could get greater than a 10 MB throughput between site A and site B by reallocating some bandwidth from the other sites?

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

As I said, I didnt test it, I've been merely pointing at what the (Adaptive shaping) command does in Frame-relay.

theoratically , its fesible to assume that.

HTH

Mohamed

thank you!

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you have asymetrical bandwidths, if supported, suggest you shape larger to conform with slower link's capacity. E.g. on DS3 or 10 Mbps, shape outbound PVC to T1, it that's what's on the other side of PVC.

As to using BECNs, you first need, I believe, to echo the FECNs, and then you can dynamically "safely" use bandwidth between CIR and link capacity.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card