cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding a Second ISP to Network

jkush12
Level 1
Level 1

I am wondering how to do this properly because I have never done this before and was wondering if someone could help me understand how to with an example or anything? I have tried to figure this out but I am not sure if I have found the right way. Would you use NAT and LAN with Access-Lists. Using Access-lists for LAN get a connection to the internet. I am not sure and any help would be appreciated.  

2 Replies 2

Cory Anderson
Level 1
Level 1

There are quite a few ways of doing this.  The first big question, is do you have your own public IP address space, that you want reachable from the internet?  If so, you may want to look at routing with BGP to the two ISPs.

Otherwise, if it's primarily for fault tolerance, you could use IP SLA, and failover routes if an internet device is unreachable.  You could combine it with Policy Based Routing to help split the load.  

Do you have anymore details that you can share?

Hello

@jkush12 wrote:

I am wondering how to do this properly because I have never done this before and was wondering if someone could help me understand how to with an example or anything? I have tried to figure this out but I am not sure if I have found the right way. Would you use NAT and LAN with Access-Lists. Using Access-lists for LAN get a connection to the internet. I am not sure and any help would be appreciated.  

You title states Second ISP- so are you querying how to introduce a second circuit and gain internet access via this new link in conjunction with your existing ISP circuit?

FYI - In most cases yes you would use NAT with Access -Lists  to gain access to the internet especially if your internal lan uses non routable addressing such as( 10.x.x.x, 172.16.x.x, 192.168.x.x)

res
Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card