cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL 857 Router problem with EIGRP

kodanig
Level 1
Level 1

I've used the 827 routers for ADSL ATM point to point circuits and now I'm having problems with a new 857 ADSL router when I try to configure EIGRP. IP routing is configured, I'm using IOS ver 12.4(11)T1 (C850-advsecurityk9-m)and when I try the CLI "router eigrp 1" (in enable mode) I get a message "Protocol not in this image". I was looking for IP based IOS software but found nothing on Cisco's site. Could someone direct me to the correct location or software version I need to enable EIGRP?

Thanks

Gary

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

I was very surprised by your question. I have looked up the product data sheet at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

and if you read it carefully there is a statement that the only routing protocols supported are RIPv1 and RIPv2. According to the Feature Navigator there is only one feature set supported for the 857. So I believe that there is no software option that will get you EIGRP on the 857 router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Gary

I was very surprised by your question. I have looked up the product data sheet at this link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a9a9.html

and if you read it carefully there is a statement that the only routing protocols supported are RIPv1 and RIPv2. According to the Feature Navigator there is only one feature set supported for the 857. So I believe that there is no software option that will get you EIGRP on the 857 router.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick, surprised I missed that or surprised it's not available for this particular Cisco router? 8-) You are totally correct, although the configuration command is available in the IOS, it will not do EIGRP. Looks like I have to upgrade to the Cisco 1801 router.

Thanks for the quick response

Gary

Gary

As I said it was a very interesting question. I started with an assumption like you did that surely this router would support EIGRP as a dynamic routing protocol. Obviously someone made a marketing decision that the market this is aimed at would be satisfied with static routing or with very simple dynamic protocols (RIP). We have both learned something useful from ths.

Thank you for using the rating system to indicate that a response had resolved your issue (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about an issue and can know that a response did provide a resolution for the issue. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hello Rick,

as I can read here c857 is not available with EIGRP, which is stated on CCO (your link).

one of our customers asked me today about it...

For the c870er series

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/hw/routers/ps380/products_data_sheet0900aecd8028a976.html

there is also stated RIPv1,2 only means also "no EIGRP support".

But here it is possible to configure and run EIGRP on the box.

Unfortunately I am not able to figure this thing out at the Feature Navigator at the moment, cause the pulldown menus are not working... (is it my browser..?)

have a nice day,

stefan

Stefan

The information in the link that you posted seems pretty clear that the standard image shipped with the router does not support EIGRP. But if you upgrade to the Advanced IP Services feature set then it does support EIGRP.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco