Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

Adsl and Frame Relay

Hi

I am asking this question because there are so many different information about in which layer frame relay and adsl operate.

I was sure that Frame Relay operates just in Layer - 2, has nothing to do with Layer - 1. But some web pages say that FR operates both Layer - 2 and Layer - 1.

Also I was sure that ADSL is a Layer - 1 technology, has nothing to do with Layer - 2. Also, End-to-End ADSL Architectures book says that:

"Like analog modems, cable modems, wireless, and T1 lines, DSL by itself  is a transmission technology, not a complete end-to-end solution. End  users don't buy DSL. They buy services such as high-speed Internet  access, an intranet, a leased line, voice over DSL, a virtual private  network (VPN), and video on demand (VoD)."

But some web pages say that ADSL is layer - 2 technology.

So my questions are:

1-) Can you please tell me in which layer do Frame Relay and ADSL are?

2-) If I am right, that FR is just Layer-2 protocol and ADSL is Layer - 1. So Frame relay wan connection can communicate over ADSL. Right?

Everyone's tags (4)
1 REPLY
VIP Super Bronze

Adsl and Frame Relay

Hi,

Layer-1 is the physical layer.  So in DSL the phone cable itself is layer-1 but there is also layer-2 (data link layer).

As for frame relay, that is an encapsulation type and can't be layer-1. It is layer-2.  Most frame relay connections communicate over T1s, or sub-rate T1s (256, 512, etc..)

HTH

Views
Helpful
Replies