Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL connection speeds

davehartburn
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Does anyone know how I can find what my current ADSL connection speeds are (using a Cisco 1841)?

A show int, gives the following snippets of output:

ATM0/1/0.1 is up, line protocol is up

Hardware is HWIC-DSLSAR (with Alcatel ADSL Module)

MTU 4470 bytes, BW 736 Kbit, DLY 690 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 29/255

Encapsulation ATM

Dialer2 is up, line protocol is up (spoofing)

Hardware is Unknown

Internet address is 81.168.36.130/32

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 56 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 90/255

Obviously the upload will be different to the download speed, so the above information does not reflect that.

I have concerns about the speeds shown. I get around 2.5Mbit download with a cheap router, so if I really am on 768K or 56K, then I'm really not getting good performance! The actual feel of the network is ok, I just want some concrete stats I can monitor.

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

> Does anyone know how I can find what my current ADSL connection speeds are (using a Cisco 1841)?

Sorry, there isn't a way to find out WAN speeds from a router interface. The only way to take a estimate is to initiate a large download and checking the kbps value of the download.

The numbers displayed above under BW are inherited from the interface type or manually entered in the configuration interface with the bandwidth command. It does not reflect the true speed of the interface.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for the response.

That does sound like a failing on Cisco's part. Even the cheapest Netgear will tell you what speed you are connected at.

I suppose the issue is, while it might be possible to do it for ADSL, to be consistant Cisco would really have to do it for all WAN types, where that might not be possible.

Still, it would be a useful feature to have, as my router currently says it is maxing out at 100% utilization on that interface. Even at 2.5Mbit, this is possible as we are trying to support a remote office of 35 people connecting to core services, for as little money as possible. You get what you pay for!

Would it help you if the router tells you what speed you are connected but then again only be able to send 1/3 of the speed?

Remember the dialup days when you will connect at 33.6kbps or 56kbps but there were times the speed seemed slower even though the DUN (Dial-Up Networking) interface stated the same speed ?

If the ISP decides to CAP your speed would it be shown in the interface?

Would that help on troubleshooting?

I answer is no to both.

Even if Cisco were to dedicate resources to have a dynamic bandwidth value after a connection is made, still it wouldn't represent the true speed between point A to point B.

If you are maxing out a 2.5Mbps, then that's your connection from point A to point B. You may want to test the connection from point A to other sites and see if it still maxes out at 2.5Mbps.

I'm in the US East Coast and my speed is not the same while connecting to US East Coast servers vs US West Coast servers.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Hi, do "show dsl interface" and you will find many things about your connection, including of course U/S and D/S speeds.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

Fantastic, that is exactly what I wanted to know.

While I agree with the poster above, the connection speed does not tell you everything, it is a very good starting point. If you should get 2.5Mbit and it connects at 100k, then you have a serious problem. If, like me, you connect at 2.5Mbit and have 100% utilization, then you have too much traffic and it is time for the boss to find a bigger budget!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: