Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL on SOHO Router

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Hello,

I have a SOHO router 91. Connected to a modem working in bridge mode. The ADSL dialer PPoE interface goes up and I am assigned correct IP. Default route pointed to the dialer interface. However, pinging to the outside word the response is great. ONLY TCP AND UDP are so slow! Some sites open and some other sites do not. I have no inspection enabled just simple PPoE and LAN interface and I am getting crazy! ONLY tcp and udp are too slow other than that the ICMP is so good and I was able to reach 100Kbps on the link using PING.

Any ideas will be greatful,

6 Replies 6

m-haddad
Level 5
Level 5

Figured out the problem.

Thanks,

i have a similar issue at the moment - how did you fix it?

Hello,

I had to set the MTU on the inside interfac to 1452. The command is "ip tcp adjust-mss 1452".

Hope this solves your problem,

Appreciate your rating,

Regards,

Great Thanks - But do you mind me asking - How does that differ from the command

"ip mtu 1452" or would that work too?

Regards

Hello,

"IP MTU" command sets the maximum packet size sent out of the interface. However, "IP tcp adjust-mss" adjusts the maximum segment size (MSS) value of TCP synchronized (SYN) packets going through a router.

Please let me know if you need further clarification,

Regards,

In other words, the mss is negotiated during the three way handshake process of a TCP session. I have added the link which explains in details the difference.

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/software/ios124/124cr/hiap_r/apl_i2h.htm#wp1192196

Regards,

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card