cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

adsl router at home

carl_townshend
Spotlight
Spotlight

I have had various dsl routers - non cisco, my isp generally assigns them an ip address. My question is that how would I set a cisco router up this way, and would I have to run nat/pat on it, also would I need to put a default route on it ?, my other routers seem to get this info themselves from the isp ?

hope someone can help

Carl

7 Replies 7

spremkumar
Level 9
Level 9

Hi

AFAIK you need to manually setup the local lan block as well as PAT in ur router ,also the default route which is very much reqd for packet traversal.

May be the other routers will be of menu driven and they seem to have them in default and also they may not be offering u the added advantages or features as cisco does.

The flexibility with the way u configure your cisco boxes accordingly as per your requirement cant be expected in other gears about which you are mentioning over here ..

regds

I have set my lan address up fine, do I need to nat this to the public address they assign me, if the public address they assign me changes all the time, how do I make sure that my nat statement changes accordingly, also how do I make my router recieve the wan address from the provider ?

Hi

Thats where we do overloading over the interface instead of creating a pool and overloading.

ip nat inside source list 1 interface e0 overload

So it basically takes care of one to many nat(pat) based on the public ip it recieves on the interface which is connected to the SP.

About getting dynamic ip we do configure "ip address negotiated" command under the particular interface which is getting connected to the SP.

regds

thats an excellent reply thankyou, so would i put the ip address negoiated command under my atm interface ?

Hi

I would suggest to go thru this link which i hope will help / guide also clarify ur queries...

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/794/adslguide_pppoa_opt1.html

regds

So do we overload the inside e0 interface ? , does this then change anything that comes into the router to the serial (outside) ip address ?, How does this statement tell the router to pat it to the serial interface ?

thanks

Carl

hi

We normally do the overload over the outside interface where we got the public ip configured.

ip nat inside source list 1 interface serial0 overload

here u got the serial interface where you gotta the public ip and pointing that the router has to use the serial interface ip for PAT.

in some cases u will define a ip in ur loopback interface and that may not be ur outside interface and u do overload over that also.

But those kinda scenarios are very rare in nature and it comes whenever some design requirement arises ..

regds

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card