cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL service and backup options

abillington
Level 1
Level 1

apologies if this is a reallly basic question (and it's one I definitely should know but seem to be having a mental block on!).

If I have a 2600-series router with an ADSL WIC and I want a reliable failover/backup service for TCP-based alerts (mostly either HTTP or SNMP trap) if the PSTN fails, can I use a serial module-connected service? The bandwidth will be far lower, and at this stage it might be GPRS modem or possibly an X.25 service - can the serial ports be configured to do "dial on demand" using an external modem?

Thanks in advance!

Andy

2 Replies 2

Hello Andy,

I am not sure if you can configure a failover based on HTTP or SNMP traps, TMBK, object tracking comes closest, it allows you to define other values than purely the state of the interface as a trigger for failover:

Enhanced Object Tracking

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1839/products_feature_guide09186a00801541be.html#wp1046663

As for the serial interface, you can configure it for async mode with the interface command 'physical-layer async' and then configure it for modem access...

HTH,

GP

thanks GP,

I probably didnt explain clearly enough - it doesn't really matter if the router can "understand" the messages (whether HTTP or SNMP), just that they get through - so if the interface that is the ADSL WIC is down or faulted, the router uses the serial interface. It would be great to be able to insert a little more intelligence though so thanks very much for the Enhanced Object Tracking link.

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card