Views
Helpful
Replies

ADSL2 on Cisco 857

aravindhs
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Experts

My home broadband has just been upgraded to ADSL2 and my cisco 857 doesn't recognise the ADSL line anymore.

Its got 12.4(6). The wan interface is reads ATMoPOTS.

Some forums say that the Firmware needs upgrading. Some say the IOS needs upgrading. one of the Cisco links says only HWIC on the 857s support ADSL2. But its a fixed router - not modular. The only built-in WAN port is ATMoPOTS.

Could anyone provide me with the right advise ASAP please ? We all know how it is without internet access at home !

many thanks

Arav

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
16 Replies 16

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Try:

ftp://ftp.cisco.com/pub/access/800/

What you want is 3-0-33 FW.

Thank you for the link. A couple of questions -

1> Do we need to put on a compatible IOS or any decent/recent one would do 12.4-something?

2> The ftp site - does it require special privileges ? Would you know ?

cheers

arav

No, and no.

Hi there,

THank you for your quick replies.

But the site won't open on the browser. CLI just hangs after connecting to the ftp.cisco.com site.

Could you kindly help please.

Many thanks

Arav

Insist, or use a different client. Cisco's FTP it's known to be unfriendly.

The IOS image will contain embedded ADSL firmware. There is a (incomplete) list here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/prod_bulletin0900aecd801d5c4c.html

You can also independantly load ADSL firmware outside of the IOS image by copying the firmware file to the flash and renaming it to 'adsl_alc_20190.bin'. During the IOS boot the router checks for this file in flash and if it is there loads this instead of the one embedded in the IOS image. The latest firmware for the ADSL modem in the 857/877 is version 4.0.15 and is available here:

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Tablebuild/doftp.pl?ftpfile=/cisco/access/800/adsl_alc_20190.bin.4.0.15

I have this on my 877, however the DSLAM has not been upgraded to ADSL2/2+.

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/tablebuild.pl/800

HTH

Andy

Note that in order to obtain the 4.0.15 version of the software you need a login to the Cisco download area whereas 3.0.33 is the latest version available from the public FTP server.

Many thanks for your responses, everyone !

It was VERY helpful.

It works now with the new firmware 3.0.33. But the line seems to accrue CRC errors over a period of few hours of usage. Never happenned before the line was upgraded to ADSL2.

So, I am going to try a Netgear ADSL2+ on this line to see if its this firmware on this (brandnew) 857 router or if its the DSLAM or the telephone line(unlikely).

Any suggestions ?

i have rated Paolo's post- Thank you very much ! Really very helpful !

Many thanks

Arav

Some CRC errors are normal. The key is to compare to the packets received, one thing is 1 each 100, an other 1 each 100,000.

You can switch to a non-cisco device, but you will never see the circuit statistics.

Thanks for the nice rating and good luck!

Hi Paolo,

I see what you mean. But the problem is that the errors are really huge in number and keep incrementing rapidly - and I should have mentioned in my previous reply that when the connectivity breaks and everything stops working I see this errors and then shutting and unshutting the ATM0 solves this. So, it appears that I am losing sync with the DSLAM or something similar.. ?

I always fancy Cisco but just to prove the line/dslam/firmware I will have to try the netgear and I shall keep you all updated.

Many thanks

Cheers

Arav.

On my 877 with the latest IOS (12.4(24)T) and the latest ADSL Firmware (4.0.15) this is what I am seeing with regards to errors:

Interleave Fast Interleave Fast

Speed (kbps): 7776 0 448 0

Cells: 210023183 0 2202498747 0

Reed-Solomon EC: 12066 0 1917 1

CRC Errors: 545 0 11 0

Header Errors: 412 0 11 2

Total BER: 1747E-10 0E-0

Leakage Average BER: 1942E-14 0E-0

So 545 CRC errors for 210 million cells - I can live with that...

Andy

It's quite possible that you would need a further FW upgrade, unfortunately all what cisco makes publicly available is in that url above.

Thanks all for your replies, again !

I shall try ver 4.0.15 from the location Andy had mentioned in one of his replies..

http://www.cisco.com/cgi-bin/Software/Tablebuild/doftp.pl?ftpfile=/cisco/access/800/adsl_alc_20190.bin.4.0.15

Where do we get the readme.txt for this software ? I could not find it in the download link. My question really is - do we have to rename this file ? Its already got the right name, it appears. Just have to strip the .4.0.15 off the ending portion of the filename ?

adsl_alc_20190.bin(.4.0.15)<-remove this bit.

Regards

Arav

Hi Andrew,

I don't think Cisco are supporting AnnexA/M (aka ADSL2+), in the uk on any of their ISR CPE devices...

Is this correct to your knowledge?

tia

Ajaz

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card