Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adtran 608 to WIC-1DSU-T1 connectivity

Hi all, I have a few questions regarding connecting a WIC-1DSU-T1 to an Adtran 608.

To give a little background, this equipment was installed by an 'expert' previous to my employment here. The Adtran is currently connected to a 2621 via FE0/1 and an ethernet crossover cable! The WIC is present but not being used. I dont know if it works, or if it ever did. The amber AL light is on all the time.

I saw that the current set up is not ideal but figured if its not borken dont fix it! Well, now I have to.....

We are about to get another T1 into the building and I was wondering what I would need to do to get the WIC to work with it.

The configuration is as follows:

Serial0/0 is administratively down, line protocol is down

Hardware is PQUICC with Fractional T1 CSU/DSU

MTU 1500 bytes, BW 1544 Kbit, DLY 20000 usec,

reliability 255/255, txload 1/255, rxload 1/255

Encapsulation HDLC, loopback not set

Keepalive set (10 sec)

Last input never, output never, output hang never

Last clearing of "show interface" counters never

Input queue: 0/75/0/0 (size/max/drops/flushes); Total output drops: 0

Queueing strategy: fifo

Output queue :0/40 (size/max)

5 minute input rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

5 minute output rate 0 bits/sec, 0 packets/sec

0 packets input, 0 bytes, 0 no buffer

Received 0 broadcasts, 0 runts, 0 giants, 0 throttles

0 input errors, 0 CRC, 0 frame, 0 overrun, 0 ignored, 0 abort

0 packets output, 0 bytes, 0 underruns

0 output errors, 0 collisions, 0 interface resets

0 output buffer failures, 0 output buffers swapped out

0 carrier transitions

DCD=down DSR=up DTR=down RTS=down CTS=down

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Obviously, I am pretty new to configuring Cisco equipment but am comfortable using the command line interface and configing interfaces etc....

Please let me know if I need to provide any other information.

Thanks in advance.

Also, what kind of cable do I need to use? I assumed a T1 crossover but the Adtran side seems to use ethernet crossover (pins 123,6). Thanks again.

8 Replies 8

b-ulrich
Level 3
Level 3

Hi, the T1 WIC should be ok. The amber light is on because there is no signal detected. What you can do to generally test the WIC without attaching a router back to back or a T1 is get a patch cable and cut off one of the ends. Strip the sheath off about 1.5 inches and then twist wires 1 and 4 together and twist wires 2 and 5 together. This makes a cheap loopback plug. Plug that into the WIC and it should show up/up looped and the amber light will go away.

The cable you need is simply a straight through "patch cable" from the telco demarc to the T1 WIC provided you have the WIC 1 DSU. You can get fancy with these cables with the type of end connector, but really all you need is a patch cable 568B.

On the serial interface you will need encapsulation, IP, ect depending on what you are getting from Telco and who you are connecting to. Hope this gets you started.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk628/technologies_tech_note09186a00800a754b.shtml

Thank you very much for your speedy reply. I made the loopback plug as you suggested and it did exactly what you said it would. So, thats a good start. I would like to test it out on the existing T1 line. I am going to confgure the serial int with the ip address used by FE0/1 (first removing it from the FE int) and then setting clock source to line, as instructed by our isp, and timeslots to 1-24 64. ISP said encapsulation should be hdlc. Does all this sound reasonable? Have I missed anything do you think?

Thanks again.

Paul

Ok, this morning I tried a patch cable from the WIC to the Adtran but no CD light came up. I looked further and the Adtran has an ehternet port. There is a crossover cable going to the FE0/1 on the router. Do I need to make a cable that connects pins 123 and 6 on the adtran side to 1245 on the WIC card? This seems logical but I really dont know. If this is the case, which pin should go to which?

Thanks again.

Paul

Hi, not sure what function the ethernet from the Adtran to the router is doing. The WIC to the Adtran is not going to work. The WIC is looking for A T1 pinout, 1,2 4,5 or straight through cable.

I have seen and used an ethenet connection from an Adtran DSU to a switchport for remote IP management purposes. The T1 should go straight into the WIC? I am probably missing something here with the Adtran in the picture.

Well, the Adtran is provided by our isp. An ethernet crossover cble goes from the 10/100 port to the FE0/1 port on the router. Is there any other way to get it to work without having to get in additional euquipment? I am pretty sure I already know the answer to that.....

Thanks for all your help so far...

Paul

Update:

Ok, it looks like I need to put a Serial WIc in the router. The Adtran has a v35 conector on it and I have been informed by my isp that I can connect the two this way. Ebay here I come!

Can you clarify exactly what the end result you want is? From your intial posting it looks like you've got an Adtran router that has 1 t1 and 1 ethernet port and you've got a 26xx router that has an ethernet port and a T1 WIC. Are you trying to remove the Adtran unit and just utilize the 26xx router? Or do you want to connect the 2nd t1 to the 26xx directly? As others have posted, you cannot connect ethernet ports to serial ports.

I want to connect the 2nd Adtran to the 2621. I think the way I need to go is to put 2 Serial WICs in the 2621, do away with the T1 WIC altogether and connect both the Adtrans we will have to the 2621 that way. That will also free up the second ethernet port giving me 2 to use to my server. So, this is the end result I anticipate. Please let me know what you think.

1st Adtran - 2600 via v35/serial - Server ethernet 1

2nd Adtran - 2600 via v35/2nd serial - Server ethernet 2

The above scenario gives me some redundancy should one of the T1s drop. Is this a viable configuration? I could also load balance the internet feed or perhaps even send my exchange out through the second line.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

Paul

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card