Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice for QoS implementation needed

smailmilak83
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

we have a Frame-Relay link with 128k speed. On our site we have a Lotus Notes e-mail server and on the other site is Exchange (but I' am not sure).

I want to guarantee 50% for mail traffic and the other remaining 50 for an other application.

My idea is to make two class maps, one for Lotus, one for the application. In the class will be lotus notes matched (with NBAR) and the in the policy map I gonna use the "bandwidth percent 50" command, (I entered Bandwidth 128 on the serial interface, not sub-interface. Policy map will be as "output" used.

Is this enough? Should I match SMTP too?

I uploaded a simple drawing.

Thank you in advance.

3 Replies 3

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on what other traffic might be going across the link and also assuming the mail servers are server-to-server communication, would suggest minimal possible bandwidth reservation for such traffic and FQ for everything else. If you haven't already, you could also first try FQ for all traffic.

This link is only used for mail traffic and one application.

Thank you for your reply.

Laurent Aubert
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure the bandwidth interface command will work on FR interface (I know it works for ethernet) but if it doesn't work, you should go with FRTS and configure the service-policy in the map-class so the cir will be used as the bandwidth reference.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk713/tk237/technologies_configuration_example09186a00800942f8.shtml

You can configure one class for lotus traffic and use the class-default for everything else.

HTH

Laurent.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card