Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

advice on cisco equipment

I'm revamping my companies network and was wondering if you guys could give me some advice on what equipment i need.

company of 7 people. (software company)

4-5 servers (2 public web servers)

8-10 users.

i mainly just need a router that i can do static routes with. We have 5 or 6 public IP's. I need one to go to each public web server and then one to run with NAT for the rest of the network.

DNS/DHCP/VPN and the like are coming from my domain controller.

Will a 1601 R router do what i need?

I cant tell from all of the things I've read if it has all the ports i need. I basically just need 2 ethernet ports. One for the inside of my network and one for the outside right?

Also what is the difference between a router with an ACL on it and a pix firewall?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

./ian

• WAN Routing and Switching
2 REPLIES

Re: advice on cisco equipment

Hi

Cisco 1601R has reached EOS so you can it ordered at present from cisco.

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5963/index.html

the basic and the main difference between router and pix is in pix u need to manually open up the ports based on your requirements coz by default all ports will be closed or denied access.

but in routers u need to manually block the port which u feel are not required and not in use..

regds

Re: advice on cisco equipment

Hi,

Pls check the compatibality between 1601R and 1-ENET(Ethernet interface card),since u require 2 Ethernet.

I would suggest going for 1711/12 routers b'coz of greater hardware and software specs.

Though PIX is a good NAT solution,but still I prefer routers as they are easy to maintain.

Regards

JD

Views
Helpful
Replies
This widget could not be displayed.