Views
Helpful
Replies

%ALIGN-3-SPURIOUS: & %ALIGN-3-TRACE: -Traceback=

Goutam Sanyal
Level 4
Level 4

Dear All,

For last few days I am getting the following log to my Cisco 1841 Router.

%ALIGN-3-SPURIOUS: Spurious memory access made at 0x61656290 reading 0x4

%ALIGN-3-TRACE: -Traceback= 0x61656290 0x61655528 0x614FA270 0x614FA254 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0

%ALIGN-3-TRACE: -Traceback= 0x616562D4 0x61655528 0x614FA270 0x614FA254 0x0 0x0 0x0 0x0

As per Cisco:

%ALIGN-3-SPURIOUS: Spurious memory access made at [hex] reading [hex]

A spurious access occurs when a process attempts to read from the lowest region of memory. This portion of memory is reserved and should never be accessed. An attempted read operation to this region of memory is usually caused by the return of a nonexisting value to a function in the software.

Recommended Action: The system has detected the illegal access and was able to correct it without a system failure. This condition indicates a software failure. To take advantage of recent fixes, upgrade your system to the latest Cisco IOS software release in your release train. If this message recurs, enter the show log, show alignment and show tech-support commands, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

%ALIGN-3-TRACE: -Traceback= [hex] [hex] [hex] [hex] [hex] [hex] [hex] [hex]

This tracing message provides information about a previous ALIGN error.

Recommended Action: Copy the error message exactly as it appears on the console or in the system log, contact your Cisco technical support representative, and provide the representative with the gathered information.

The same has been informed to Cisco and also the router has fully replaced. But after replacing the same is reflecting to router log.

Additional Details:

IOS : System image file is "flash:c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-3d.bin" and c1841-advsecurityk9-mz.124-1a.bin (with the both we are getting the same log)

Memory alignment:

1841#sh alignment

Alignment data for:

1841 Software (C1841-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(3d), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc3)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Compiled Tue 18-Apr-06 19:27 by alnguyen

No alignment data has been recorded.

Total Spurious Accesses 2, Recorded 2

Address Count Traceback

4 1 0x61656290 0x61655528 0x614FA270 0x614FA254

94 1 0x616562D4 0x61655528 0x614FA270 0x614FA254

SIL-CHATTISGARH-B'PUR-1841#

Any suggestion?

22 Replies 22

Hi Rick

My issue has been resolved after I replaced the router with IOS flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M12a.bin but I am now receiving the error as shown below but i check the VPN connection thru sh crypto isakmp sa

it is showing that my connection and active and the network behind it is connected to our HQ.  

Can i ask you about the message I am receiving from the router?

%CRYPTO-4-PKT_REPLAY_ERR: decrypt: replay check failed 

Regards,

Jason

Jason

I am glad to know that replacing the router did resolve the issue with alignment and tracebacks. I have seen that error message when doing site to site VPN. The TAC indicated that this is frequently an indication that IPsec is seeing some packets out of order and is frequently caused by some issues in the provider networks. In my experience the error message is not having any impact on performance of the VPN. My advice is to not worry about this error message.

HTH

Rick 

HTH

Rick

Rick,

Yup I don't see any issue as of the moment I tried to ping HQ to Branch vice versa, I didn't see any time out as well as I have my HWIC-2FE worked which is our main goal.

Thank you very much Rick for sharing your knowledge and patience understanding.

Regards,

Jason Cantos

Jason

I am glad to know that your VPN is working. The replay check failed message is an aggravation but does not impact performance.

You are welcome. Thank you for the kind words. I am glad to share what I have learned and happy to know that it is appreciated.

HTH

Rick  

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick

I noticed with our router which is having some issue bootstrap version is different from IOS version.  Maybe this is causing the issue?

ROM: System Bootstrap ko which is Version 12.4(13r)T11, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

IOS Version 15.1(4)M, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Regards,

Jason 

Jason

It is common for the version of the bootstrap to be different from the version of running IOS. I very much doubt that the bootstrap version is causing any issue.

It is possible to update the IOS of a router or switch remotely. Being physically at the device is convenient but in most situations it is not a requirement.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Oh thank  you i thought it is causing the problem.  I have arranged different router with different ios version (c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M12a) from the previous (c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.151-4.M) which is giving alignment issue.

I hope this new IOS can give us resolution hahahaha.. 

Actually I don't have any issue with the old IOS version it was working with all my branch routers except for this branch which we requires HWIC-2FE module and it is not appearing in this IOS version (c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-22.T).  

That is why I was forced to upgrade IOS.

Regards, 

Jason

Jason

Thanks for the update. I hope that the router running  151-4.M12a will solve your problem. After you change the routers please let us know how the new router is doing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card