Views
Helpful
Replies

Allow only Netflow Traffic through Ethernet Interface Via ACL

adamdaviddoyle
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm trying to allow ONLY netflow traffic to be passed from one particular ethernet interface on a router to my netflow collection server.

here is what I have so far:

ip access-list extended netflow

permit tcp host 10.1.1.99 host 100.1.1.21 eq 9996

ip access-group netflow out

interface FastEthernet0/1

description Internal 100mbps connection

ip address 10.1.1.99 255.255.0.0

ip access-group netflow out

ip route-cache flow

speed auto

full-duplex

This however doesn't seem to be stopping any traffic.

4 Replies 4

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

Depends on what you are trying to stop. Any traffic that comes in on another interface should be blocked. Traffic that the router itself creates cannot be blocked with a access list. You must use local policy routing and route the traffic to a null interface.

So if this were on my internet router and i had 2 ethernet interfaces and 1 serial.

The Ethernet1 interface would not allow any traffic to go out of it from the other 2 interfaces (Serial & Ethernet0)

If that is the case that is fine.

yes that is how it works.

It is just one of those strange things about outbound access lists.

If you want to confirm it put in a statement like deny ip any any log and ping some address past the router from 100.1.1.21. You should see the reply packets being dropped.

Tim is quite right that an outbound access list can not block traffic that is generated by the router itself but will block traffic that comes in some other interface and is being forwarded out the interface with the outbound access list.

I am curious about the statement that the access list as applied did not seem to be stopping any traffic. The access list as written would deny pretty much any transit traffic. Can the original poster clarify what traffic is sent out which interface.

One other note is that the access list as given is looking for tcp traffic but netflow uses udp transport.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card