cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Another beginner question

kaancho12
Level 1
Level 1

Thank you all for helping me with my earlier question regarding connecting to my cisco router. I can now successfully connect to the router using hyperterminal.

I have another question regarding using the router to test it in my home network. Currently, we have internet through comcast and it has its own modem through which we get connection. We have routed the comcast internet through a linksys router. I have two questions regarding this:

1) Is it possible to connect the cisco 2501 router that I have after the linksys router? The linksys router is currently configured to give provide addresses from 192.168.0.2 onwards. When I configured the cisco ethernet interface i entered the ipaddress as: 192.168.0.104 with netmask 255.255.255.0

2) Secondly, I dont see a ethernet port on 2501 router. Do I need a RJ-45 to a serial port converter? Also, how do I connect other computers to this router after it has been connected to the linksysrouter?

Comcast -> linksys -> cisco -> other computer

4 Replies 4

desai.jaideep
Level 5
Level 5

Hi

(1)You will not achieve anything by just connecting 2501 with the linksys router.I would suggest another cisco router with minimum one serial and one ethernet(say your 2501)

The scenerio will be

[ISP(linksys ethernet)]-->[2501 ethernet--2501 serial]-->[2501 serial--2501 ethernet]-->Ur PC.

This will be a routing setup.Your additional requirements will be one router and DTE-DCE serial cable.This is what all the ISPs do to give you internet through lease line.

(2)There is AUI port on router, you will require a device called Ethernet TRANSRECIEVER which will convert your AUI to ethernet RJ-45.

I would recommend a software called as CISCO Config Maker available at cisco.com for free.It will help u a lot.

Pls rate if this helped.

Regards

JD

Thank you for the reply. I indeed went to a local computer store here and talked to the sales guy about purchasing the cables (DTE-DCE and a transceiver). According to the specifications above it seems like I woule need two ethernet transceivers and one DTE-DCE serial cable. Am I calculating this right since I have RJ-45 coming off the linksys router and another RJ-45 that needs to go to my PC.

thanks for the help.

ko12

Hi

I would like to point that you have not included another router?You will need that also.

Regards

JD

Thanks again for the quick reply. According to the specs that you gave me in the previous thread I would need 2 routers.

Please, correct me if I am wrong- so I would have a linksys connected to first router at the AUI port with a Transceiver and a DTE-DCE cable from that router to a second router. Is it from the second router that I would take the AUI port and using the transceiver connect it to my PC ?

[ISP(linksys ethernet)]-->[2501 ethernet--2501 serial]-->[2501 serial--2501 ethernet]-->Ur PC

I am sorry the last part is kind of confusing, I guess I would have to somehow designate the AUI port as the outgoing port and not an incoming port, right?

thanks

ko12

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card