Views
Helpful
Replies

Any thoughts on BitTorrent

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

We are a Cisco shop but I would like to know if anyone has any thoughts on BitTorrent and there are any implications or issues that might arise if a company would adopt it.

Thanks,

sK

9 Replies 9

John Blakley
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

"Adopt it" in what way? Are you wanting to allow users to be able to use it on your network? My first thought is that there are many legal implications because even though you'll be able to control bandwidth utilization from a protocol perspective, you're going to have a very difficult time trusting your users to download only "legal" torrents.

That being said, we block all bittorrent traffic because it can bring down your network to a grinding halt since it makes so many different connections. One user can have 15 or more connections to download one file.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Thanks, John. I appreciate your response. This is a request that is being insisted upon our dept. (IT) by the Prod. Dev Dir and I wanted to know from a security, performance, and support view if this would a good idea or not.

Any more infomration would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

SK

I agree with John. Performance and Security is the concern using BitTorrent in your network.

Since the Prod. Dev requested for it, they should be aware that using it in the network may cause for your company to accidentally share your trade secrets to your competitors (or the internet community) for example plans for the new software you are planning to develop. Prod. Dev should have a centralize repository of documents and files and being monitored and secured so you know who is accessing and when. They are also use by hackers to hack into your network, dropping virus and trojans.

If someone suggesting to use it, you better investigate what is this person intention. Maybe a stupid suggestion or there is a hidden dark reason behind :)

Maybe you should read this http://netsecurity.about.com/od/newsandeditorial1/a/p2psecurity.htm

If you can't fight with them, you better get management approval in writing before doing so. Must put who requested, who suggested, who approved, also put the concern :)

Thanks for the feedback, Medan!

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My thoughts regarding BitTorrent in a workplace: STAY THE AWAY from my network or I'll shut your ports down!

I recommend getting the legal implications from a media-related lawyer. I'm sure the words "lawsuit", "copywrite" and phrase such as "we'll sue your @$$ off" could be mentioned.

I'm sure the knucklehead who thought of this "idea" may not know the serious repurcussions in regards to hosting a BitTorrent service inside a workplace. Who knows? Maybe he/she just wants to get their ratio high.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response.

We currently have a 2800 ISR with 4 remote sites having ASAs(VPN) connecting to the ISR. If we were to consider implementing BitTorrent, would it still pose a security issue? I mean since we all hosts will be within the corp network, would that still pose a sec issue?

Thanks,

sK

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

My thoughts regarding BitTorrent in a workplace: STAY THE AWAY from my network or I'll shut your ports down!

I recommend getting the legal implications from a media-related lawyer. I'm sure the words "lawsuit", "copywrite" will be mentioned as well as the phrase "well sue your @$$ off" could be mentioned.

I'm sure the knucklehead who thought of this "idea" may not know the serious repurcussions in regards to hosting a BitTorrent service inside a workplace. Who knows? Maybe he/she just wants to get their ratio high.

Hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Consider the following: virus, trojans, worms and key loggers.

Another thing to consider is the legal ramnifications if indeed the BitTorrent was legally sanctioned by management and one, just one, employee has used it to share illegal files.

I remembered a few years ago when Sony in Europe was sued after a number of their PC's contained an software with an illegal software license. Investigations zeroed to ONE employee who brought the Key Generator and passed it on to the staffs concerned. The software company found out about when one staff called the software company for support and quoted the pirated license key without knowing that it was an illegal license key.

For illegal files, all it takes is one person to step out of line and the entire company can be in limbo.

If your company insist to implement BitTorrent then implement so at your own peril.

Hope this helps.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Thanks for the ratings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card