cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Are all OSPF Routers suppsed to see networks in All OSPF areas?

joshgarmon116
Level 1
Level 1

1. Are all OSPF Routers suppsed to see networks in All OSPF areas?

2. Should all loopbacks be configured in the same area?

3 Replies 3

joshgarmon116
Level 1
Level 1

3. What should be my OSPF Network statement for a loopback such as Loopback 3 with IP Address 3.3.3.3 /32?

None of my loopbacks are showing up in any of my Routers' routing tables after OSPF has been configured and I don't know why.

Router 1 - Loopback 1...ip add 1.1.1.1 255.255.255.255

Router 2 - Loopback 2...ip add 2.2.2.2 255.255.255.255

Router 3 - Loopback 3...ip add 3.3.3.3 255.255.255.255

Router 4 - Loopback 4...ip add 4.4.4.4 255.255.255.255

etc...

1) No. All OSPF routers are not necessarily supposed to see networks in all OSPF areas. The best example of this would be routers in a totally stubby area which will not see networks in any other OSPF areas. We could perhaps go on to discuss effects of summarization and how that hides details from other areas and other things that could limit what is seen in all areas. But you asked a simple and straightforward question and totally stubby is a simple and straightforward answer.

2) not necessarily. In general I would expect to have loopback interfaces assigned to the same area as the physical interfaces on the router.

3) there are several alternatives each of which is valid and should work. But I will suggest

network 3.3.3.3 0.0.0.0 area 3

Without more details of how your routers are configured we have no clue why your loopback interfaces are not showing up on any of your routers. Give us more to work with and we might be able to give you better answers.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Rick has answered your questions, but is your OSPF configured to "pick up" your loopbacks?

What does the command show ip ospf interface brief show?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco