cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP Cache On Host

rossua994
Level 1
Level 1

Imagine a scenario in which a router is connected to a local ethernet network, and to other routers on an internetwork. My question is regarding what is stored in the ARP cache on a host on the local ethernet.

As I understand it entries in the ARP cache will be of the form :-

<ip-address> <MAC-address>

where ip-address is the IP address of an interface on the local ethernet, and MAC-address is the physical address of that interface.

After a ping from the local ethernet to a host somewhere beyond the router, eg to a remote web server, an entry will be created in the ARP cache :-

<ip-addr of default gateway> <MAC-addr of default gateway>,

where the default gateway is the local router interface.

However on a practice CCNA test question, the entry which is made in this situation was stated as :-

<ip-addr of remote web server> <MAC-addr of default gateway>

I think this is incorrect, and only local IP addresses can appear in a host?s ARP cache. That certainly is the case on my own Windows XP PC, which is connected to the internet via a Linksys router/switch. But are there other types of host systems which store the remote IP addresses in the ARP cache ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You are correct in what you say in that in a normal scenario the arp cache of a host will contain only entries for the local subnet. This is simply because if the host realises the address is remote it sends it to the default-gateway as mac-addresses are local to that subnet. So it should never have a remote host IP address in it's arp cache.

However in the case of proxy arp you could well end up with the IP address of a remote host being entered into the arp cache with a mac-address of the default-gateway.

Attached is a link to a doc on Proxy arp which explains how it works

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094adb.shtml

HTH

Jon

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi

You are correct in what you say in that in a normal scenario the arp cache of a host will contain only entries for the local subnet. This is simply because if the host realises the address is remote it sends it to the default-gateway as mac-addresses are local to that subnet. So it should never have a remote host IP address in it's arp cache.

However in the case of proxy arp you could well end up with the IP address of a remote host being entered into the arp cache with a mac-address of the default-gateway.

Attached is a link to a doc on Proxy arp which explains how it works

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk648/tk361/technologies_tech_note09186a0080094adb.shtml

HTH

Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card