Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ARP updates end communications

I have a 7604 that when it updates its Arp tables every 4 hours, communications will go down for 7 min 51 seconds, and when I look at the ARP table at that time the tables are empty. Once the time 7:51 passes then communication are re-established and the ARP tables are fully populated again. I am using s3223_rp-ADVIPSERVICESK9_WAN-M), Version 12.2(18)SXF15. Do you guys have any thoughts?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Silver

Re: ARP updates end communications

The issue with CAM table/ARP table timer mismatch causing traffic flooding is related to asynchronous routing environments.

The default timeout period for a CAM entry is 300 seconds, which is 5 minutes. For ARP entries in a router, the default is 4 hours. The only reason I can think of that a router would purge all the ARP entry for a single interface is if the interface itself were to reset.

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: ARP updates end communications

The issue with CAM table/ARP table timer mismatch causing traffic flooding is related to asynchronous routing environments.

The default timeout period for a CAM entry is 300 seconds, which is 5 minutes. For ARP entries in a router, the default is 4 hours. The only reason I can think of that a router would purge all the ARP entry for a single interface is if the interface itself were to reset.

Views
Helpful
Replies