Views
Helpful
Replies

ARP vs mac-address-table

Michal Valach
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Guys,

I have one question. In my situation I have directly connected user PC to cisco switch. User is ping able but I do not see any arp entry and I have user MAC is in MAC-table. So how is switch resolving IP to MAC in this case? Why I do not see arp entry, but MAC address is in the table?

Thank you

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

L2 switches usually only record mac-addresses. The only time a L2 switch records an IP to mac-address is when the switch has a management interface with an IP address and you are pinging to that address or from that address.

If you want to see the PC mac to IP mapping, find the PCs default-gateway, go on to that device and look at the arp table.

Jon

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Talha Ansari
Level 1
Level 1

From where to where are you pinging? Can you provide what ip addresses you have applied on the devices?

cadet alain
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

A switch works at Layer 2 so it doesn't need arp to map L3 address to L2 address for framing.

You are pinging your host from another host or router and the frame is forwarded through the switch with the mac-table.

Regards.

Don't forget to rate helpful posts.

I am pinging from the switch

Is the ip address of the switch which is used as source and the end user of the same subnet?

Did you see the arp entry for the switch mac-address in your pc?

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

L2 switches usually only record mac-addresses. The only time a L2 switch records an IP to mac-address is when the switch has a management interface with an IP address and you are pinging to that address or from that address.

If you want to see the PC mac to IP mapping, find the PCs default-gateway, go on to that device and look at the arp table.

Jon

Thank you all, especially Jon

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card