cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AS NUMBER ISSUE

olakunle06
Level 1
Level 1

i have an as number in use in within our network that has its own internet feed.please is it possible to use the same AS number in a new network with seperate internet feed.

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

As long you don't try to use it to connect the internet, there is no problem.

adamclarkuk_2
Level 4
Level 4

What you are saying is what I would expect as ASN's group administrative networks together, ie both network belong to you, so both should have the same ASN. You should peer to both providers with the same ASN and if these networks are connected, which I assume they are, then you have yourself a resilient setup now. If not then only advertise the networks that are reachable each peering session.

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Olankule,

if this AS number is public (in range 1-64511) your company has received by regional registry that is RIPE for europe.

until you advertise public ip address blocks registred with RIPE you need to use that ASN in all your internet connections.

some issues can arise if there are no direct connections between the two sites.

However,

on your routers

neigh ISP.ipaddress allowas-in N

this allows intercommunication between sites using the same ASN (it allows your router to accept BGP prefixes where your ASN already is present up to N times in the AS path attribute)

It is better to find a way to communicate for the two sites even with an EoMPLS pipe

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco