Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 and VDSL (2 VLAN)

stefan.zemlicka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am new and have a question about the ASA 5505. I try to used at home the ASA 5505 (smallest version) with VDSL. My provider (Telekom) used vlan 7 for Internet and vlan 8 with an IGMP Proxy for IPTV.

My problem is, that the ASA do not support in the smallest version this counts of vlan. The only chance to configure the asa is to lost IPTV or Internet. Buy a licence is not really a choice.

Is there a solution for my problem?

Stefan

2 Replies 2

Nagaraja Thanthry
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

ASA5505 with base license supports only 3 vlans. Along with VLAN 1, the other 2 VLANs can be of any number. I am assuming your ISP gave you an Ethernet handoff that is a trunk. In the base version ASA5505 does not support trunk. You need to put another managed switch in front of the ASA5505 and terminate the trunk. Once the trunk is terminated on a different device, then we can try configuring firewall such that the internet connections (data) becomes outside and IPTV vlan becomes DMZ. Since IPTV and Internet connections do not need to speak to each other, this could be a viable option.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

NT

Hi,

thank for the quick answer. I don't know if this is the truth. In the past, my provider used only one vlan. The Vlan 7 was used for both. Internet and IPTV and many users used the asa. But for a half year, the provider switch 2 vlan7 and vlan8.

I don't know if is a trunk or not.

I don't want to put an additional device in front of, but it seems that this is the only chance for my.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card