Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Webcast-Catalyst9k

ASA 5505 backup ISP question

Hi.I was reading this http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_configuration_example09186a00806e880b.shtml article for configuring a backup ISP on An ASA or PIX firewall.

The configuration specifies a network behind the ISP router to monitor

sla monitor 123
type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho 10.0.0.1 interface outside
num-packets 3
frequency 10

Can I use the default gateway address Instead ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes..that is correct. Most of the ISPs provide Ethernet hand off and the connection goes something like ASA--> ISP router Ethernet interface (gateway to ASA) --> ISP infrastructure. So the service to ISP router goes down, that does not bring down the gateway for ASA. Thats the reason you need to monitor network/node behind the ISP router.

hth

MS

4 REPLIES

You would use your default gateway in place of the above 10.0.0.1 address.

HTH,

John

HTH, John *** Please rate all useful posts ***

Hi.Maybe I wasn't clear enough.I mean that In this example the Interface behind the ISP Is being used for monitoring and not the default gateway.Is the ISP's Internet facing network being used here In the event of the default gateway remaining In an up/up state with other Interfaces failing on the ISP router ?

Yes..that is correct. Most of the ISPs provide Ethernet hand off and the connection goes something like ASA--> ISP router Ethernet interface (gateway to ASA) --> ISP infrastructure. So the service to ISP router goes down, that does not bring down the gateway for ASA. Thats the reason you need to monitor network/node behind the ISP router.

hth

MS

Thank you!

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content