ASA multi-path

madcat
Level 1
Level 1

Looking for a design best practice, and a little help,

Basically my design looks like this

Internet

|

2821               (Single ISP w/BGP failover to redundant site)

/         \

4948    4948        (Inet/MPLS Switch)

|           |

ASA  --- ASA       (5520's Failover Pair (Advert BGP AS from here))           

|           | 

6506 --- 6506       (Core (VS-SUP720-10G)           

The 4948's also have a pair of 2821's that are from 2 seperate carriers provideing MPLS connections to the other site/corp office off a single vlan to both switches (Load balanced with OSPF, and Connected to the ASA's via "DMZ_MPLS")

Here is my issue, as of 8.x the ASA's dont support etherchannel of 2 or more interfaces together, so, if i connect the 4948's together with a "Uplink" port that's layer 2, and set the internet router to use a BVI interface that uses both G0/0 & G0/1, aren't I going to run into a "Non-Mac-Flooding" issue?

Can i create a "Layer 3 Interface on both 4948's and use that for a "Uplink" to ensure multi-path?

I realize that i am useing only a single internet connection, but would like to have full redundancy up to that single point of failure, as if the i-net router fails, bgp fails over to the secondary site.

1 Reply 1

Jerry Ye
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You best bet on this is doing ASA Active/Active along with 4900 L3 interfaces.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6120/products_configuration_example09186a0080834058.shtml

Regards,

jerry

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card