cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA packet-tracer command for IOS?

Mark Withers
Level 1
Level 1

The "packet-tracer" command for ASA's is fantastically helpful, so I have to wonder:

Is there a version of the packet-tracer command for IOS? Some feature set or something?

Thanks!

3 Replies 3

Marvin Rhoads
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Depending on your platform and license level, there are a number of tools (Embedded Packet Capture, Mini Protocol Analyzer, Wireshark, etc.) offering similar capability.

Have a look at the BRKARC-2011 presentation from Cisco Live! (Melbourne 2014 or Orlando 2013) which covers those and more in some detail with examples of their use.

The Cisco Live! presentations are available for anyone to download after setting up a (free) registration.

Wow. That's some awesome stuff!!

I feel bad for not being able to say that answers my question, but it doesn't.

What "packet tracer" does that's most interesting is to go through the ACLs and NAT and Site to Site Tunnels and all this other internal logic and spit out the result of each of these steps.

That helps narrow down why something is dropping packets, versus determining whether or not it is.

But holy crap that's some good stuff! Thanks Marvin!

D'oh - you're right. I was thinking packet capture and you asked about packet tracer. I know that tool also.

Unfortunately there's no similar cli (or GUI-based) tool on IOS. There are some other Cisco Live presentations that describe how traffic is processed in general (physical interface, ASIC, EARL, CPU etc.) on some of the more widely deployed platforms but nothing that gives you the blow-by-blow for a given packet through your router or switch and runs on the live box.

Thanks for the rating anyhow. Cheers!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card