Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA5505 - Traffic Separation Between Two Internet Providers

jrennard3
Level 1
Level 1

Hello!

I believe this is my first time posting in this forum, thanks in advance for the help!  To come out with it, I am not much of a Cisco user and do not understand the technology for the most part.  I'm able to utilize the equipment we have, which was provided by our data/telophony provider, but I do not make changes outside of VPN, IP routing and the like.  With that said, here is our current project:

We have an ASA5505 and have been using Data Provider A for both VoIP and Data usages.  We recently added Comcast for both television and went ahead with the business data package as well.  We'd like to move all of our data over to Comcast and only use Data Provider A for VoIP.  The question is if the Cisco ASA5505 is able to seperate between both forms of traffic and if it can, do I do it by IP address or is there some intelligent way to make this work?

I found this thread https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3062617#3062617but am not sure I understand it well enough to make it happen.

We want to keep all VoIP traffic on Data Provider A since we have a quality of service level with them and it is plenty for voice usage.  However, for all standard data traffic, Comcast will provide a much higher speed and overall bandwidth availability.  If you have any questions, please do ask.

At this time I have a block of IPs from our Data Provider A and a block from Comcast.

Thanks again!

1 Reply 1

Hi,

In a router you can separate traffic using Policy Based Routing.

So, you can create a policy to route traffic to either link based on other factors besides the destination IP address.

There's no such thing in ASAs.

The ASA will only route all traffic based on the destination address (normal IP routing).

So, unless you can specify that VoIP and Data goes to different IP addresses, I don't think you can do this on ASA.

Federico.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card