Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

ASBR and ABR on the same router

Hi. Is it possible to have the ASBR (route redistribution) and OSPF ABR function on the same router?

4 REPLIES
Purple

Re: ASBR and ABR on the same router

Absolutely. There is nothing in OSPF that prevents such a setup.

Hope that helps - pls do rate the post if it does.

Paresh

Silver

Please advise your concern then we can help to explain more. Or you can check below link for OSPF design.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk365/technologies_white_paper09186a0080094e9e.shtml

Hope this helps.

Hi guys. I though so too that its possible, and i need the quick affirmation. thanks!Here's the setup:

- 4500s are running OSPF (actually part of a Core network of 3 nodes, so that's 3xCat4500, with 1 unit per node);

- the 3 Cat4500s are in full mesh;

- connected to each Cat4506 in each node is a FW (firewall)towards the LAN (static routing between Cat4506 and FW) - this makes the Cat4506 an ASBR redistributing static to OSPF;

PLAN: an additional suboffice is to be connected to the network via 2 of the nodes using a port on the Cat4500 (sort of multihome setup); the suboffice would then be configured as an NSSA area with the Cat4500 as the NSSA ABR. Any foreseeable routing problem? thanks guys!

Silver

I only find you need to consider how to reach the suboffice, by load-sharing or set one path as preferred path. Then it is fine on the design.

Hope this helps.

Views
Helpful
Replies